+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for conference

Yess

Star Member
Jan 22, 2024
Hello,

I have issues with the IRCC Portal. Not letting me progress after putting education and employment information. I’m I meant to put all the years I was in university as unemployed? Also, if I have a scholarship to attend a conference, will the letter from my university stating they’ll fund it be enough or do I need to also include my bank statements?

Yess

Star Member
Jan 22, 2024
I have done all of that. But it only lets me proceed if I have my years of education as unemployed

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

I have issues with the IRCC Portal. Not letting me progress after putting education and employment information. I’m I meant to put all the years I was in university as unemployed? Also, if I have a scholarship to attend a conference, will the letter from my university stating they’ll fund it be enough or do I need to also include my bank statements?
You need proof from your university that they will be funding your travel, hotel costs and typically a per diem so they can list the amount. I would include proof of funding in the form of a letter from the university with contact information for IRCC to verify and would also encourage your university to book and pay for hotel stay that is refundable if you get denied but will show that the university is actually will to pay for the hotel if you do get approved. This is especially important if you have never attended a conference before and you have limited international travel. Dying you will attend a conference in Canada is a well known attempt to secure a TRV. People believe that saying that you will attend a conference is an easy way to secure TRV but unless you have attended many conferences before it is actually quite difficult to prove to IRCC that a conference is Canada makes sense to attend as your first conference or your first travel abroad. It will be assumed that most are trying to claim asylum or want to attempt to get a WP when they come to Canada.

Yess

Star Member
Jan 22, 2024
You need proof from your university that they will be funding your travel, hotel costs and typically a per diem so they can list the amount. I would include proof of funding in the form of a letter from the university with contact information for IRCC to verify and would also encourage your university to book and pay for hotel stay that is refundable if you get denied but will show that the university is actually will to pay for the hotel if you do get approved. This is especially important if you have never attended a conference before and you have limited international travel. Dying you will attend a conference in Canada is a well known attempt to secure a TRV. People believe that saying that you will attend a conference is an easy way to secure TRV but unless you have attended many conferences before it is actually quite difficult to prove to IRCC that a conference is Canada makes sense to attend as your first conference or your first travel abroad. It will be assumed that most are trying to claim asylum or want to attempt to get a WP when they come to Canada.
So I have an undergraduate, Masters & PhD from a European country and currently work in Europe as a scientist. I have not travelled for conferences outside of this country because most of my PhD was during pandemic. Will this help? My travel history is just to go back home. Will they still think that I am just trying to secure a work permit?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So I have an undergraduate, Masters & PhD from a European country and currently work in Europe as a scientist. I have not travelled for conferences outside of this country because most of my PhD was during pandemic. Will this help? My travel history is just to go back home. Will they still think that I am just trying to secure a work permit?
What European country and what is your status in the country and when does it end? What is your home country? Is this a special conference and a conference that is not offered in other countries this year? If you have proof that your employer will be covering your costs and you are employed by the university and have status in the country that is not expiring soon then chances of approval are decent. It comes down to the specifics of your application. I would potentially include a short explanation that due to the pandemic many conferences were put l hold so you have not attended other conferences. Attending a conference is way people attempt to get to Canada for other reasons so IRCC does examine many of these applications carefully.

Yess

Star Member
Jan 22, 2024
What European country and what is your status in the country and when does it end? What is your home country? Is this a special conference and a conference that is not offered in other countries this year? If you have proof that your employer will be covering your costs and you are employed by the university and have status in the country that is not expiring soon then chances of approval are decent. It comes down to the specifics of your application. I would potentially include a short explanation that due to the pandemic many conferences were put l hold so you have not attended other conferences. Attending a conference is way people attempt to get to Canada for other reasons so IRCC does examine many of these applications carefully.
It’s the UK. And my status is skilled worker expiring in two years. I already have a visit visa application but it’s been too long and this conference is very important for my career. So I want to reapply. Will 2700 dollars be enough for a 4 day conference. My current University is Cambridge and I am Going for a conference in McGill. I have no intention of staying back in Canada.