+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Citizenship

Rabz_13

Feb 26, 2013
Hi All,

I had a work permit from September 2011 through November 20, 2014. November 20, 2014 was the date I received a letter from Service Canada rejecting my claim to extend my work permit based on an LMIA application my ex employer applied for. I was forced to have my employer terminate my contract on November 20, 2014. I remained in Canada (since I carry a Syrian passport and since a removal order was not issued) but had no status from Nov 20, 2014 until I obtained my PR card on Feb 16, 2016. Based on the Bill C-6 that passed in September 2017 I require a total of 3 years to apply for Citizenship 1 of which can be counted prior to obtaining residency as a half day for every calendar day, for a total of 365 days. Moreover, according to the timeline calculator on the CIC website I can only go back 5 years from the day I apply for Citizenship. My question is if I go back 5 years from the day I apply, this would put me in the time period when I had no status. Would I be able to count those days as part of my application since I remained in Canada and max out the 1 year prior to PR ? Or would they not count since I had no status in the Country.

I appreciate any insight on this matter.
Thank you !
Rabie