+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for citizenship from outside canada?

adithya1991

Jan 1, 2014
hi,
I got my permanent residency in 2009. I renewed it in 2013 and the card is now valid till 2018. Im now staying abroad till 2015 sept. I was wondering if I could apply for canadian citizenship considering the fact that I've passed the residency requirement(no of days). I also don't have a permanent address in canada as i stayed in the dorms while attending uni from 2009 to 2013.

Is it possible for me to apply for my canadian citizenship? In case of the address issue is it possible for me to provide a friends address who stays in canada?

thanks a bunch.

FL1040

Dec 30, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possibly, but it is very likely that it will be rejected when they find out you actually do not live here PERMANENTLY...they will find out through the CBSA report..it's not only about the number of days you lived in Canada the past, it about the fact you are actually living in Canada.

Give it a shot....

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They can't reject you for not living in Canada and you should be clear about that you don't. I seem to recall there being a clause about residing in Canada at the point you apply but I can not find this clause at the moment. Living outside Canada while applying would greatly increase the odds of getting an RQ which can add a couple of years to the processing time but if you can't apply now, you'd have to wait for a long time. If the residency requirements stay the way they are, you would have to wait for another 3 years after you return so could apply in Sept. 2018 but they are talking about making them longer so it might be even later than that.

I checked the residency calculator if you enter a leaving date until the present date and it doesn't give any warning. You can write in your reason for absence when you will be returning as well. Go ahead and try it anyway. Nothing to lose.

diniga

Star Member
Aug 22, 2013
the first requirement for citizenship is : you lived 1095 days for the last 4 years. which means you have to proof that you lived here in canada 1095 days between jan 2010 and jan 2014. if it is less than 1095 days your physical presence than forget about applying the citizenship. if yes then you have to just apply it and give them an address of correspondance and it will be fine. you have to come for your test and also for your interviews if is is the case.
But the issue is that they will give you hard times if they found out that you are residing now abroad.
My opinion.