+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Citizenship but COPR shows incorrect Place of Birth

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Hi all,

I received my COPR in 2018. My Place of Birth consists of 4 words, is pretty long and no longer exists (city was renamed). On my COPR, it only lists the first 3 words (i.e. the 4th word is omitted). When I asked the immigration officer about it, she remarked it's normal and since there's limited space, physically, on the paper they are unable to print the full city name.

When filling in the Citizenship application document (Form CIT 0002) it asks for my Place of Birth again. Should I just go ahead and enter my actual Place of Birth, or will they be cross-referencing my COPR file and flag this as an issue? My passport correctly list my Place of Birth.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi all,

I received my COPR in 2018. My Place of Birth consists of 4 words, is pretty long and no longer exists (city was renamed). On my COPR, it only lists the first 3 words (i.e. the 4th word is omitted). When I asked the immigration officer about it, she remarked it's normal and since there's limited space, physically, on the paper they are unable to print the full city name.

When filling in the Citizenship application document (Form CIT 0002) it asks for my Place of Birth again. Should I just go ahead and enter my actual Place of Birth, or will they be cross-referencing my COPR file and flag this as an issue?
Many people have the same issue. My Place of Birth is trimmed too on the COPR. However, please note that the GCMS system will contain the full place of birth like shown on your passport / what you provided during your PR application.

You should enter the actual place name and NOT the short version.

Vitesze

Dec 15, 2017
Many people have the same issue. My Place of Birth is trimmed too on the COPR. However, please note that the GCMS system will contain the full place of birth like shown on your passport / what you provided during your PR application.

You should enter the actual place name and NOT the short version.
Thanks, just the confirmation I needed :)

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram