+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Citizenship and Being Unemployed

archerx

Sep 13, 2011
Hi

I am permanent resident for almost three years. When I landed Canada, I started to a certification program for almost 1.5 years.After that, I completed another certification program for 8 months.

However,I am still unemployed for nearly one year. My question is about how affects being unemployed and receiving welfare to apply citizenship?

Thank you

Travel Dream

Sep 20, 2010
In my opinion, welfare does not affect your citizenship . but unemployed will raise some question about your residency. for me I was unemployed but I took english course during that time so I think it will not be doubt about my residency during that time.

cic8888

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
archerx
show as much as proof like license renewal or health card (address update) etc ..basically anything that shows you are inside.
you need to prepare your application in such a way that you give enough information about your physical presence.
good luck

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Include copies of your transcripts. If the certification programs were in-class (i.e. not an online courses which can be done from anywhere), then it's helps too.

For the interview, be prepared to answer questions about unemployment, future plans, etc. If you have travelled during this period of unemployment, it's even more important to answer the questions properly so they don't think you have been living outside Canada for sometime.

I had my test about 2 wks ago and I was asked about my employment and future plans.

Reactions: EunpaKim

archerx

Sep 13, 2011
SenoritaBella said:
Include copies of your transcripts. If the certification programs were in-class (i.e. not an online courses which can be done from anywhere), then it's helps too.

For the interview, be prepared to answer questions about unemployment, future plans, etc. If you have travelled during this period of unemployment, it's even more important to answer the questions properly so they don't think you have been living outside Canada for sometime.

I had my test about 2 wks ago and I was asked about my employment and future plans.
Could you give some tips about interview? I mainly focus on my unemployed period and traveled twice abroad during that time..so how can i answer about my unemployment periods?

Thank you so much

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Listen to the questions keenly, before you answer. If you are not clear, ask for clarification. Also, look at the officer when answering and just be yourself.
Being unemployed is not a problem per se, but if asked how come you have been unemployed, be prepared to briefly explain the reason(s). Only you knows the reason(s). The interview is also helps the officer with assessing your language skills.

You can read my interview experience here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/may2014-applicants-t201261.525.html

archerx said:
Could you give some tips about interview? I mainly focus on my unemployed period and traveled twice abroad during that time..so how can i answer about my unemployment periods?

Thank you so much

Reactions: EunpaKim