+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for CERB while waiting for Outland PR application?

ksin86

Oct 8, 2013
Vancouver, Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
App. Filed.......
29-06-2020
Hi all, I have a bit of a complicated question. Long story short, my common-law spouse is wondering if it would be a bad idea for her to apply for CERB while waiting for her Outland PR Application to be processed.

Here's the background: I'm a Canadian citizen, sponsoring my common-law spouse, no dependants. We both live and work in Canada, notably she has a student permit which allows her to work 20 hours a week while attending school and then full-time in the summer. As we are both essential workers we did not need to apply for CERB as it became available. However, the company my spouse works for was doing well up until this month when she got laid off, as COVID-19 has severely affected their sales. She was hoping to work full-time during the summer until school starts in September. What makes things worse is that I also work in the education sector, so I do not get paid during the summer. I usually supplement my income in July and August by finding temporary employment but it's touch finding work. Since I am techincally still employed as a full-time employee, I do not qualify for CERB. This has become a double whammy for us both not being able to earn income.

All that being said, I am still able to support both of us with savings until I get back to work in September. My question is, would it be a bad move for her to apply for CERB, just in case we need it, until I start working again in the fall? What I am really concerned about is how applying for CERB might affect our application. I want to avoid anyone at the IRCC making assumptions that I cannot financially support my spouse etc. Worst case scenario is that I'll have to pay it back later which shouldn't be a problem for me.

Thx.