+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for CERB / endangering famiky sponsorship

Filamadian74

Apr 8, 2020
Hello - I am eligible for the CERB, but I am also in the middle of sponsoring my wife and kids for permanent residency. I have not yet applied for CERB because I am worried that doing so will disqualify me from sponsoring them (as it may be considered a form of 'social assistance'). Does anyone know if getting CERB will jeopardize our process? Can you point to any articles or official info that address this issue? Thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Sponsorship of wife and children is not income dependent. You must show that you can support your family financially so if you are unemployed and have no savings that could be an issue but receiving CERB is not an issues.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your reply. Can you point to any official documents that can verify what you're saying?
There's nothing official at this time since CERB is too new. However logically there won't be an impact since CERB is like EI and is not classified as social assistance.

NaineshPatel

Apr 15, 2020
Hello - I am eligible for the CERB, but I am also in the middle of sponsoring my wife and kids for permanent residency. I have not yet applied for CERB because I am worried that doing so will disqualify me from sponsoring them (as it may be considered a form of 'social assistance'). Does anyone know if getting CERB will jeopardize our process? Can you point to any articles or official info that address this issue? Thanks in advance.
This will help you

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/immigration-applicants.html#sponsors

I am in a same situation like you and confused about application submission

Provide me any info if you have , that would help

Thank you