+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for CCTB

arron

Star Member
Oct 27, 2010
Just a heads up to everyone who is in the middle of the immigration process and is bringing their kids to immigrate to Canada.

If you have a Permanent Residence application sent in, are married or common-law with a canadian spouse and your children are living with you with either a temporary resident visa, or out-of-status altogether you CAN apply for the Canada Child Tax Benefit, and receive the monthly supplement, backdated up to 11 months. Especially if you are currently sitting around, unable to work this can make a huge difference to your finances since it is a monthly supplement of anywhere from $150-400 depending on the number of children you have, if they are disabled or not.

It is really only applicable to low income earners but just thought i'd mention it as not all of us are making tons of dough especially with only a single family income. The way to go about it is to file the regular CCTB application along with a form rc66sch (search for it on google) which goes to your local tax centre office, along with a tax return for the last tax year (2009) and a form NR74 (determination of residency status) to the International Tax Services office.

Makes no difference to CRA what your immigration status in Canada is, they will make their own determination based on your residency, marital status, and ties to Canada and the way I had it explained to me, being married, living in Canada with your spouse and kids, and a few documents such as marraige certificate, lease, bills etc are a slam-dunk for the determination of residency. They will base it off the PR applicants worldwide income going back 2 years along with the sponsor's income as well.

vonster

Star Member
Jan 5, 2010
Question:
I've sponsored my father and his dependent (my stepbrother 12 yrs old)...they will arrive in Canada August 2nd as PR.

I will be supporting both of them and I already checked with my accountant that I cannot claim either of them as my dependent.

Will my father be eligible for the Canada Child Tax Benefit CCTB and the National Child Benefit Supplement (NCBS) ?
Will he be eligible if he has no income or only if he has income to report?

Thank You.