+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

applying for Canadian PR from USA on H1b

Adirontic

Jul 7, 2008
Hi
Myself and my husband are on H1b visa in USA and have never been out of status.Our H1b expires in Sept 2009 and we dont think our US GC application will provide us any more extension to our visa.So we want to apply for Canadian PR.We dont have any job offers for canada.We also have a baby coming in Jan 2009 who will be US citizen by birth.I wish to know few things....
1.How long will it take to get our PR ( we both have bachelors degree from India).
2.will we have to make any changes to our application once our baby is born or as baby`ll be US citizen there will be different application.
3.Should we apply by ourself or hire a lawyer.

I will be gratefull for your help.
Thanks

canada rocks

Jul 7, 2008
go to cic.com for ur processing times in us
2. it makes no difference if ur child is born in usa, india or timbaktoo, as long as he is born outside canada he will be ur dependent
3. you can apply for urself unless ur case is not complicated or u are 100% sure u can file the apllication without any mistakes

olusolalekan

Jul 3, 2008
Since you have H1, please consider Alberta Immigration Nomination Program. Alberta will grant you a PNP certificate under their strategic stream program and that will fasttrask your application. It does not require employment letter but a valid H1.

let me know if you need additional info mylekan@yahoo.com

todiefor

Star Member
Jul 9, 2008
I agree with olusolalekan, the fastest way to go to Canada is thru AINP because of your valid H1-B visa plus your skill/education which might be in-demand in Alberta now. With regards to you baby coming next year, I don't think that would be an issue when you add it as your dependent, it would be easy. Start your application now to get the ball rolling. Don't waste time.

brian07

Jan 25, 2008
olusolalekan said:
Since you have H1, please consider Alberta Immigration Nomination Program. Alberta will grant you a PNP certificate under their strategic stream program and that will fasttrask your application. It does not require employment letter but a valid H1.

What is this H1B allowing for AINP? Can you tell us more about this?

todiefor

Star Member
Jul 9, 2008
brian07 said:
olusolalekan said:

What is this H1B allowing for AINP? Can you tell us more about this?
I've read that having a valid H1-B visa will expedite processing of application specifically in the province of Alberta. Below is what Atty. Cohen wrote on his website:

"The Alberta Provincial Nominee Program has a new category designed exclusively for people who are on temporary work visas in the United States. No Canadian job offer required! If you’re currently on an H1B and have a year of experience working in the U.S., you may qualify for fast-track Canadian Permanent Residency to go live and work in Alberta."