DM: 23-Nov-15
Passport Req..
01-Dec-2015 Passport submitted: 02-Dec-2015
VISA ISSUED...
15-Dec-2015
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2015 :)
Hi

My parents gave citizenship oath on 21st December 2021 and have been waiting since then for their citizenship certificate. Due to some issues IRCC lost their certificates and mailed them again on March 1st 2021 to my address which may take 2 to 3 weeks more.

My parents have to give emergency entry to US for their permanent residence and are travelling to New york US next week.

Is it possible for me as their son to receive citizenship certificate, apply for Canadian Passport on their behalf at the passport office and then mail the passport by myself to USA? I see that on canada.ca website that it is possible to do it (check link below).

Have someone been in this situation before where they applied for someone's behalf for the Canadian passport?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/help-centre/apply.html#submit

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Hi

My parents gave citizenship oath on 21st December 2021 and have been waiting since then for their citizenship certificate. Due to some issues IRCC lost their certificates and mailed them again on March 1st 2021 to my address which may take 2 to 3 weeks more.

My parents have to give emergency entry to US for their permanent residence and are travelling to New york US next week.

Is it possible for me as their son to receive citizenship certificate, apply for Canadian Passport on their behalf at the passport office and then mail the passport by myself to USA? I see that on canada.ca website that it is possible to do it (check link below).

Have someone been in this situation before where they applied for someone's behalf for the Canadian passport?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/help-centre/apply.html#submit
I was wondering if there is a difference between submitting a passport application and apply for a passport? The way I understood the link is that you can submit the application for them in person ( guessing they will have to fill the form and sign it as they are adult, then you can just walk with the application and submit it for them in person ? ) I may be wrong though.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I was wondering if there is a difference between submitting a passport application and apply for a passport? The way I understood the link is that you can submit the application for them in person ( guessing they will have to fill the form and sign it as they are adult, then you can just walk with the application and submit it for them in person ? ) I may be wrong though.
Agree. You can go to the Passport Office and give all the documentation, but they need to fill out and sign all the forms. You can't sign passport forms on their behalf.

Reactions: bellaluna

Das67

Oct 19, 2019
Agree. You can go to the Passport Office and give all the documentation, but they need to fill out and sign all the forms. You can't sign passport forms on their behalf.
Make sense, the link the OP shared is about submitting the application only not applying on their behalf which is possible only for minors.

Reactions: Naturgrl

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Hi

As indicated above, your parents have to fill out and sign and date all the application forms as necessary, and when you receive their certificates you can submit them at the passport office as a third party.