+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Canadian passport for child born abroad in India to Canadian father

sharma2020

May 15, 2020
Hi,
my baby (5 months old) is currently living in India and was born in India. I am her Canadian born father living in Toronto, Canada. My daughter is living with my wife in India who is awaiting her sponsorship application to be processed (can be any day now). My question is that I wanted to apply for my daughter's passport (pptc042) but one of the requirements on that document is to submit a proof of Canadian citizenship. I filled out the cit0001 form and will be submitting that to the high commission of Canada in New Delhi, but that can take a few months to completely process, can I still apply for the pptc042 (passport for minor born abroad) mentioning in a letter that I've applied for the cit0001 proof of Canadian citizenship? Can someone please clear this for me, that would help.

Thanks in advance!

sharma2020

May 15, 2020
Since the child is less than 2 years of age, she need a limited validity passport instead. Details below:

https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/passportsfornewborn_passeportsnourrisson.aspx?lang=eng

Btw, why do you seperate from them during the pandemic lockdown?
Thanks for this, I looked at the PPTC116 form and it says "I have applied for a replacement proof of Canadian citizenship", but in my case it would be the first time I am applying so that would work also? Also in general, how much time would it take for my child to get her 2 year passport? I am assuming it would be rather quick. Unfortunately airline issues due to Covid-19 is making it difficult to travel, so my wife should be getting her sponsorship application processed anytime now. Once airlines open up I will go and bring her myself from India, but I need to bring my 5 month daughter with us too, so I need the quickest route in order for her to be able to come with us to Toronto, Canada from India also.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm not sure if you read the correct form or not, however, there is a YouTube vid on this that tells you how to fill out the form. The youtuber said it generally takes 6 monthsto process citizenship cert applications, so I'm not sure why you are unable to apply the application while your daughter was still a newborn. That could be the fastest route to get her to be able to come to Toronto, but you caused the delay. Why do you need to wait until she's five 5 months?

sharma2020

May 15, 2020
I'm not sure if you read the correct form or not, however, there is a YouTube vid on this that tells you how to fill out the form. The youtuber said it generally takes 6 monthsto process citizenship cert applications, so I'm not sure why you are unable to apply the application while your daughter was still a newborn. That could be the fastest route to get her to be able to come to Toronto, but you caused the delay. Why do you need to wait until she's five 5 months?
Initially I did not know that I would need to fill out a form when she was born in India as I thought I would naturally pass to her my Canadian citizenship status. Only when I visited them a couple of months back I found out I have to fill out this form but at that time due to covid-19 everything was pretty much on hold. She is now 5 months old, I need to get her to come to Canada the fastest way possible even if it is through a temporary 2 year validity passport. I am planning to go back sometime around August or early September if flights open up and bring both my wife and baby to Canada with me. But that is only 3 months away, can I get a passport for my baby so she can come over within that time or do I absolutely need to wait for 6 months before she gets her proof of citizenship? I read somewhere that some people were able to get their minors to come to Canada by concurrently applying for both pptc042 and cit0001. Please let me know.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes you need to attach the LVP with the citizenship application to the Canadian consulate.