+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Canadian experience class with one month left on IEC

Iain.c

Jan 29, 2020
Hi guys,

Was wondering if anyone can offer any advice.
I am a restaurant manager in a leading Toronto restaurant, but started with my company at the end of May last year. I will have one year of Canadian work experience at the end of May 2020, and my visa will expire in June.

Should I :
  • Create the profile on the government website and hope for an invitation based on my degree in hospitality/age/savings/English ability etc
  • Wait until May to create my profile then wait on an invitation (visa might run out)
  • Apply for another visa so I can apply through the Canadian Experience Class
  • Try and obtain an LMIA for my current employer then a job offer

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Iain

Tayee

Apr 6, 2019
If you have enough points without having a years Canadian exp then apply now.
If you don't, wait until May, and then apply. If you have enough points you would get an invitation in the next draw.
After applying you get an AOR - acknowledgement of receipt, as soon as you receive that you can apply for BOWP - bridging open work permit. Which will allow to you keep working until your PR decision is made.

Or you could get a LMIA from your employer.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
After applying you get an AOR - acknowledgement of receipt, as soon as you receive that you can apply for BOWP - bridging open work permit. Which will allow to you keep working until your PR decision is made.
I would just add that, since the timeline for this is so tight, that you be ready to submit your eAPR right away, with PCCs, academic records, employment records from older work experience ( you should wait until you complete one year to get the letter of reference from your current employer). You can even get the medical done in advance (you should be reasonably sure that you will get an ITA, however, before doing this).

Also note that you need to submit a complete eAPR the first time - if it is rejected as incomplete, your BOWP would be refused, and you would be out of status retroactive to the date your old permit expired.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html

Reactions: scylla

Iain.c

Jan 29, 2020
I would just add that, since the timeline for this is so tight, that you be ready to submit your eAPR right away, with PCCs, academic records, employment records from older work experience ( you should wait until you complete one year to get the letter of reference from your current employer). You can even get the medical done in advance (you should be reasonably sure that you will get an ITA, however, before doing this).

Also note that you need to submit a complete eAPR the first time - if it is rejected as incomplete, your BOWP would be refused, and you would be out of status retroactive to the date your old permit expired.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/express-entry/applications-received-on-after-january-1-2016-completeness-check.html
Thanks for all of this. This is amazing! I have all of my paperwork ready to go. Is it possible to apply for the pool, and then add my years experience in May?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for all of this. This is amazing! I have all of my paperwork ready to go. Is it possible to apply for the pool, and then add my years experience in May?
How many points will you have once you have 1 year of Canadian Work Experience?

Mara71

Sep 6, 2018
If you have enough points without having a years Canadian exp then apply now.
If you don't, wait until May, and then apply. If you have enough points you would get an invitation in the next draw.

Or you could get a LMIA from your employer.
What is the minimum point you need to have AOR ?