+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Canadian citizenship (Iraqi refugee)

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Hello all members

I am currently waiting for my Visa to be issued I'm Iraqi refugee currently in Lebanon my question is will it be required to get criminal record clearance from Lebanon ?
or just I do not need it when applying for citizenship
thanks

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Hello all members

I am currently waiting for my Visa to be issued I'm Iraqi refugee currently in Lebanon my question is will it be required to get criminal record clearance from Lebanon ?
or just I do not need it when applying for citizenship
thanks
If you had lived in Lebanon for 6 months or longer, then yes, it will be required. And don't worry about the citizenship yet, it will be at least 3 or 5 years later, after you landed as a PR in Canada.

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
If you had lived in Lebanon for 6 months or longer, then yes, it will be required. And don't worry about the citizenship yet, it will be at least 3 or 5 years later, after you landed as a PR in Canada.
Thanks for replay but I like to be well prepared I do not like to go back
thanks in advance

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
Thanks for replay but I like to be well prepared I do not like to go back
thanks in advance
It is all good. Just make sure, anything, I mean everything you put on your whatever application, has to be 100% accurate and true. Otherwise, CIC will definitely find out, and you will be charged with misrepresentation. And trust me, you don't want that.

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
everything is well presented in my application accurate & honest I'm one of the IRAQi people who escaped IRAQ after ISIS fighters attacked us in Mosul.... and the rest is known by everyone.
I live in Lebanon since 2015, so definitely need that paper....
please is there any examples of it where I can get one ? whom I may ask for it ? also do I need it for me only or also is required to every individual applicant in my application?

Thanks

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
everything is well presented in my application accurate & honest I'm one of the IRAQi people who escaped IRAQ after ISIS fighters attacked us in Mosul.... and the rest is known by everyone.
please is there any examples of it where I can get one ? whom I may ask for it ? also do I need it for me only or also is required to every individual applicant in my application?

Thanks
What paper that you are talking about?

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017

Thanks
Oh, I see. Unfortunately I don't know where you can obtain the PCC from Lebanon, maybe you can go talk to the local police department at where you live?
And yes, you need to obtain PCC for everyone listed on your application that will accompany you to move to Canada, if they are older than 18 yrs old and been there longer than 6 months.

Reactions: Clorets90

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
Oh, I see. Unfortunately I don't know where you can obtain the PCC from Lebanon, maybe you can go talk to the local police department at where you live?
And yes, you need to obtain PCC for everyone listed on your application that will accompany you to move to Canada, if they are older than 18 yrs old and been there longer than 6 months.
Thanks for the fast reply I really appreciate it

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
@Clorets90 - Who told you that you need this? I just did a quick search and it is not required unless you travel back there and live more than 183 days in the same place during the 4 years before applying for the citizenship. So do NOT worry. You don't need it. Read it here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

It is under section 10.2:

Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more. If you cannot get a police certificate, tell us why.
Example 1
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to France that lasted 200 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France.
Example 2
In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from the USA.
Example 3
In the past 4 years, you spent one year (365 days) working in Singapore. While working in Singapore, you took a trip to Malaysia (10 days) and Thailand (10 days). You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from Singapore. You would not need to provide police certificates from Malaysia or Thailand.
Example 4
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to Europe where you visited Portugal (5 days), Spain (7 days), France (10 days), Belgium (3 days), Netherlands (3 days), Germany (21 days), Switzerland (7 days) and Italy (21 days). You took a second trip to Europe where you visited Ireland (14 days), Scotland (14 days) and England (21 days). You went to Germany for a business trip that lasted 60 days. The total time you were outside of Canada was 186 days but you were not in a single country for 183 days or more. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide police certificates from any of the countries.

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
@Clorets90 - Who told you that you need this? I just did a quick search and it is not required unless you travel back there and live more than 183 days in the same place during the 4 years before applying for the citizenship. So do NOT worry. You don't need it. Read it here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0002-application-canadian-citizenship-under-subsection-5-1-adults-18-years-older.html

Within the last 4 years, if you spent 183 days or more in another country (other than Canada), you must provide a police certificate. You must provide a police certificate for each country where you spent 183 days or more. If you cannot get a police certificate, tell us why.
Example 1
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to France that lasted 200 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from France.
Example 2
In the past 4 years, you took 10 trips to the United States of America (USA). Each trip lasted 3 weeks, for a total of 210 days. You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from the USA.
Example 3
In the past 4 years, you spent one year (365 days) working in Singapore. While working in Singapore, you took a trip to Malaysia (10 days) and Thailand (10 days). You would answer “Yes” to the question and you would need to provide a police certificate from Singapore. You would not need to provide police certificates from Malaysia or Thailand.
Example 4
In the past 4 years, you took one (1) trip to Europe where you visited Portugal (5 days), Spain (7 days), France (10 days), Belgium (3 days), Netherlands (3 days), Germany (21 days), Switzerland (7 days) and Italy (21 days). You took a second trip to Europe where you visited Ireland (14 days), Scotland (14 days) and England (21 days). You went to Germany for a business trip that lasted 60 days. The total time you were outside of Canada was 186 days but you were not in a single country for 183 days or more. You would answer “No” to the question and you would not need to provide police certificates from any of the countries.
Please read the post of OP carefully, before you make the conclusion. The OP is waiting the VISA application process now in Lebanon as a register refugee and chosen one to resettle to Canada, and living there since 2015, not a refugee claimant in Canada, not a PR yet, let along Canada Citizen.

Last edited:

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017

Example 1
Example 2
Example 3
Example 4
Thanks Sir for your answer but I am a refugee waiting to get my VISA to leave lebanon heading to Canada (Never vist any other country) during my residence in Lebanon...I live there as a refugee since 2015 till the moment so 3 years here in Lebanon as "Refugee outside Canada" I've read that it's required from Lebanon as I lived more than 183 days obviously 3 years as refugee in Lebanon so I need 2 records for me & my wife....
if there is anything to take into consideration please share me
Regards & thanks for your time

LoveCanada10

Star Member
Jan 3, 2015
As mentioned in the link, You will come to Canada as a Permanent Resident. You will apply for your citizenship after 3 years of having your PR status. You can either wait till you are in Canada for 4 years then apply or just to the police station and get it done there.

Clorets90

Apr 17, 2017
As mentioned in the link, You will come to Canada as a Permanent Resident. You will apply for your citizenship after 3 years of having your PR status. You can either wait till you are in Canada for 4 years then apply or just to the police station and get it done there.
I will get the papers so I finish everything here no need to comeback here later and waste time & money....
Regards

Miraclejj

Mar 10, 2017
I am really confused, and please enlightening me. Maybe it is a different process for registered refugee, but I believe when IRCC processes his application for PR, they have to conduct the background check and criminal check, right? And one of the requirements is to submit PCC from any countries that you stayed more than 6 months. And since the OP and his family had stayed in Lebanon for 3 years, why do you think that they don't need to submit PCC?