+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Canadian citizenship certificate for a minor

eckoin

Sep 20, 2018
Hi guys, I'm a little confused about the process for getting a Canadian citizenship certificate for a minor. I am a naturalized Canadian citizen, but my daughter was born in the US. I'd like to get a Canadian citizenship certificate for her.

I'm reading the instructions for

Application for a Citizenship Certificate for Adults and Minors (Proof of Citizenship) under Section 3 (CIT 0001)

and everything makes perfect sense, except the photographs. My daughter is 13 months. Do I really have to provide photographs of her as outlined in the instructions? I can't imagine how anyone would get her to sit still for that, and it seems silly to have a baby face anyway. Am I missing something, or is this the procedure for everyone including babies?

Last edited:

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, was she born before or after you became Canadian citizen?

eckoin

Sep 20, 2018
Ok, was she born before or after you became Canadian citizen?
I became a citizen in 2008, she was born in 2017 while I was working on a temporary TN visa in the US (though I am now in the Green Card process by marriage). So she's OK under the first generation rule, is my understanding anyway.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are ok. Because you were naturalized, you are counted as if you were born in Canada. Your child however needs to be careful, because if your grandchildren will be born outside Canada, they will not have right for the citizenship anymore.

eckoin

Sep 20, 2018
You are ok. Because you were naturalized, you are counted as if you were born in Canada. Your child however needs to be careful, because if your grandchildren will be born outside Canada, they will not have right for the citizenship anymore.
Yes, that is my understanding. So do I have to take passport photos of a baby? It just seems odd to do under a certain age. Like, do people take passport photos of their newborns for immigration purposes?

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, that is my understanding. So do I have to take passport photos of a baby? It just seems odd to do under a certain age. Like, do people take passport photos of their newborns for immigration purposes?
It is not odd. Your baby needs its own passport. of course that passport will have just a very short validity.