+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for BOWP without a job

posharo

Apr 6, 2017
Hi,

I have PGWP which is due to expire in Dec. I have already submitted PR application after PNP approval.
I have no job at the moment.

Can I apply for bridge open work permit,

1. without a job
2. with PGWP

Thank you

AlexandraO

Jul 8, 2016
Hi,

I have PGWP which is due to expire in Dec. I have already submitted PR application after PNP approval.

1. without a job
2. with PGWP

Thank you
Unfortunately I don't know. but will wait for answer with interest too:))

What province you've applied? you submitted your paper based PR application? or express entry? inland or outland? what stream are you applied? international post - graduate?

posharo

Apr 6, 2017
Unfortunately I don't know. but will wait for answer with interest too:))

What province you've applied? you submitted your paper based PR application? or express entry? inland or outland? what stream are you applied? international post - graduate?
Thank you.

To answer your questions,

1. What province you've applied? - Ontario
2. You submitted your paper based PR application - yes
3. express entry? - No
4. Inland or outland? - Inland
5. What stream are you applied? - Masters graduate stream

Reactions: AlexandraO

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hi,

1. without a job
2. with PGWP

Thank you
I need this question to be respond :/ Can I apply BOWP without having job? My PGWP will expire within 1 month.

posharo

Apr 6, 2017
I need this question to be respond :/ Can I apply BOWP without having job? My PGWP will expire within 1 month.
Hi C_Vitamin,

The Government of Canada has announced a new policy on January 8, 2021, for international students to apply for another PGWP.
This article might interest you.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2021/01/government-of-canada-announces-new-policy-to-help-former-international-students-live-in-work-in-and-continue-contributing-to-canada.html

Reactions: C_vitamin

ayeshasultana2171

Star Member
Jul 16, 2017
Hey,
As far as I know, these are the only requirement what u need to apply for BOWP.
  • Have submitted an application for permanent residence
  • The current work permit expires in four months or less
  • Have valid status on a current work permit
  • Currently residing in Canada
But to avoid nightmares and palpitations, if I were at your place I would have definitely called IRCC, you will be on the wait for 30 minutes, but that wait is worth it!

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hi C_Vitamin,

The Government of Canada has announced a new policy on January 8, 2021, for international students to apply for another PGWP.
This article might interest you.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2021/01/government-of-canada-announces-new-policy-to-help-former-international-students-live-in-work-in-and-continue-contributing-to-canada.html
Hi Posharo,

This is a great news. I knew this new rule but, this is not suitable for me. If they extend it 1 more month. I may be eligible. I asked wrong in the previous question. I will explain you more detail.
I and my husband have valid work permit until December 18,2021. (Mine is PGWP, my husband's OWP). I will complete my 1 year work experience in Canada on October 15,2021.As soon as I complete my 1 year experience I will apply EE and most probably I will be chosen from the pool. Because my point is 481.Let's say I will be chosen and got my AOR in middle of November,2021. So, I will only have 1 month to apply Bridge visa (BOWP)+Spouse work visa(SOWP). I will apply at he same time. At that time I will be unemployed. So I need to know, can I apply both BOWP+SOWP without having a job? As I searched on the forum, I can apply for BOWP without job but can I apply also for my husband? If not, I guess better to go back to my homecountry.

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hey,
As far as I know, these are the only requirement what u need to apply for BOWP.
  • Have submitted an application for permanent residence
  • The current work permit expires in four months or less
  • Have valid status on a current work permit
  • Currently residing in Canada
But to avoid nightmares and palpitations, if I were at your place I would have definitely called IRCC, you will be on the wait for 30 minutes, but that wait is worth it!
Hi Ayeshasultana,

Thank you for your response. As I searched on the forum, you are right they don't require a job offer for BOWP. What about for spouse open work permit (SOWP)? If I apply for my husband at the same time, do I need a job? In my previous OWP application for my husband, I sent 3 pay slips+ employment letter which shows that I am currently working in NOC B job. Is this SOWP same like OWP? I confused.

ayeshasultana2171

Star Member
Jul 16, 2017
Hey,
I ain't an expert about this but after researching on your topic, I have an understanding that as you will be an INLAND CEC applicant whose PR is/will be in the process can apply for BOWP and SOWP together without you ( principal applicant) having skilled level O, A, B job at that moment.

For the first time, you applied for SOWP then u must and should give your employment details as you mentioned but when you're applying for BOWP then it means that your working or you will look for work. If you working then I don't think it will be a problem for you to get an employment letter without any job end date just to add weight to your application.

Please go through this link which I just found, it will give you a better idea. And do check with others before coming to a conclusion. Finally, reach out to CIC for a 100% correct answer.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html#skilled-workers

• For spouses or common-law partners of Canadian experience class (CEC) applicants, there are no set preconditions to be met by the principal CEC applicant.

And it raised my eyebrow with the timeline of what you have assumed about getting an ITA and AOR date. But great that you have so much positive thinking. just rethink about applying for BOWP 4 months your current PGWP expires, my opinion does not wait for the last month.

**** All the above points, I have mentioned in my opinion and idea. Please do not come to a conclusion with it and do check with other peers.

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
Hey,
I ain't an expert about this but after researching on your topic, I have an understanding that as you will be an INLAND CEC applicant whose PR is/will be in the process can apply for BOWP and SOWP together without you ( principal applicant) having skilled level O, A, B job at that moment.

For the first time, you applied for SOWP then u must and should give your employment details as you mentioned but when you're applying for BOWP then it means that your working or you will look for work. If you working then I don't think it will be a problem for you to get an employment letter without any job end date just to add weight to your application.

Please go through this link which I just found, it will give you a better idea. And do check with others before coming to a conclusion. Finally, reach out to CIC for a 100% correct answer.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/foreign-workers/exemption-codes/public-policy-competitiveness-economy.html#skilled-workers

• For spouses or common-law partners of Canadian experience class (CEC) applicants, there are no set preconditions to be met by the principal CEC applicant.

And it raised my eyebrow with the timeline of what you have assumed about getting an ITA and AOR date. But great that you have so much positive thinking. just rethink about applying for BOWP 4 months your current PGWP expires, my opinion does not wait for the last month.

**** All the above points, I have mentioned in my opinion and idea. Please do not come to a conclusion with it and do check with other peers.
Hello Ayeshasultana2171,

Thank you for your help. Below rule is valid for BOWP holder's spouse. We are planning to apply together because our work permits will end at the same day. I will definitely call CIC about it.

posharo

Apr 6, 2017
Hi Posharo,

This is a great news. I knew this new rule but, this is not suitable for me. If they extend it 1 more month. I may be eligible. I asked wrong in the previous question. I will explain you more detail.
I and my husband have valid work permit until December 18,2021. (Mine is PGWP, my husband's OWP). I will complete my 1 year work experience in Canada on October 15,2021.As soon as I complete my 1 year experience I will apply EE and most probably I will be chosen from the pool. Because my point is 481.Let's say I will be chosen and got my AOR in middle of November,2021. So, I will only have 1 month to apply Bridge visa (BOWP)+Spouse work visa(SOWP). I will apply at he same time. At that time I will be unemployed. So I need to know, can I apply both BOWP+SOWP without having a job? As I searched on the forum, I can apply for BOWP without job but can I apply also for my husband? If not, I guess better to go back to my homecountry.
I am not sure how you would proceed with your spouse's case but I am interested to know what IRCC has to say. Keep us posted. :) Thanks.