N/A
Passport Req..
16-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Hi there,

I have a question regarding my friend who is a Protected Persons and Convention Refugees. She came to Canada in April of last year and now she is trying to apply both for her permanent residency and work permit. Here are my questions:

1- Should she apply for work permit first? if yes, what kind of document does she need to proof that she needs this to support herself?
2- Is there any specific criteria to be eligible to apply for PR? Can she send the application online or it must be submitted on paper?

I truly appreciate it if someone can direct me to the right path.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
home3d2001 said:
Hi there,

I have a question regarding my friend who is a Protected Persons and Convention Refugees. She came to Canada in April of last year and now she is trying to apply both for her permanent residency and work permit. Here are my questions:

1- Should she apply for work permit first? if yes, what kind of document does she need to proof that she needs this to support herself?
2- Is there any specific criteria to be eligible to apply for PR? Can she send the application online or it must be submitted on paper?

I truly appreciate it if someone can direct me to the right path.
Assuming your friend has a positive decision from IRB and she is now a protected person/conventional refugee. In such a case she can apply for her work permit any time (some people even apply for open work permit before their hearing) . she will get a open work permit and she can apply online free of cost.
she just need to upload the following documents in her mycic account/application by scanning them all and pasting them in text document (microsoft word)
1. copy of her passport
2. her refugee claimant document ( the document having her picture she got when she claim her refugee protection)
3. any other picture id if she has
4. a recent photo (she can get a new one from superstore or from anywhere)
5. Notice of decision ( the letter she received from IRB that her case is approved and she is now a conventional refugee)
6. Medical exam result she had within the last 12 months (she can use the same medical exam receipt she had for her refugee case)
7. a short explanation letter that she want to work to support her living ( just a general statement no need to mention any employer or jobs)
8. if she is receiving a social assistance/welfare she can attach the last receipt she has. (if she is not getting any welfare...no problem. i was not on a welfare so i didn't have it to attach with my application)

Note: she don't have to pay the fee for her work permit and she will get her work permit in 2,3 weeks depending on the work load of the case processing office.Her Work permit application has nothing todo with her PR application.

PR application for protected person:
She can apply for PR application anytime because she is eligible to apply as she is a convention refugee (i.e positive decision from IRB). Most of the people apply instantly after they get their notice of decision in hand. So she must apply for her Permanent residence status without wasting any time. ( i wonder why she didnt apply till now). the only criteria to be eligible to apply for PR for her is to be a convention refugee (which she is already). no requirements such as job, funds..etc.

I came to canada in march 2014 got my refugee case accepted in May 2014 and i instantly applied for my work permit and after few days i also send my PR application. so i am now looking forward to receive my PR status in the next few months (hopefully). SO she shouldn't had wasted her time...anyways still nothing wrong she can apply anytime.

The PR application is submitted on paper NOT online so she can gather all her documents, download the required form from cic website, pay her fee, include her spouse and any of her dependents (no matter where they are living) and send her PR application. if she is married then her husband and other dependents living outside Canada or in-canada will also get PR cards at the same time or 2-3 months after she get her PR.

Hope it helps..and if you have any other questions let me know.

home3d2001

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 27, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with aplication
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Hi Kriv,

Thank you so much for detailed info. It was really helpful. I will post here in case I had more questions.

I appreciate it again. Very happy!

encantado

Star Member
May 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kriv said:
Assuming your friend has a positive decision from IRB and she is now a protected person/conventional refugee. In such a case she can apply for her work permit any time (some people even apply for open work permit before their hearing) . she will get a open work permit and she can apply online free of cost.
she just need to upload the following documents in her mycic account/application by scanning them all and pasting them in text document (microsoft word)
1. copy of her passport
2. her refugee claimant document ( the document having her picture she got when she claim her refugee protection)
5. Notice of decision ( the letter she received from IRB that her case is approved and she is now a conventional refugee)
6. Medical exam result she had within the last 12 months (she can use the same medical exam receipt she had for her refugee case)
7. a short explanation letter that she want to work to support her living ( just a general statement no need to mention any employer or jobs)
8. if she is receiving a social assistance/welfare she can attach the last receipt she has. (if she is not getting any welfare...no problem. i was not on a welfare so i didn't have it to attach with my application)

Note: she don't have to pay the fee for her work permit and she will get her work permit in 2,3 weeks depending on the work load of the case processing office.Her Work permit application has nothing todo with her PR application.
All she needs to apply for work permit is:
1. Copy of ONE ID (passport OR travel document OR refugee claimant id)
2. Proof of medical examination
3. Recent photo

Notice of decision, letter of explanation, information about welfare is optional and not required at all. Don't reinvent the wheel.

salem10

Jul 6, 2010
Ontario, since 2006
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
0711/4131/4121
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 02, 2010
AOR Received.
May 19, 2011 from buffalo
IELTS Request
submitted writtin sample (accepted)
Med's Request
April 14, 2012
Med's Done....
June 10, 2011, again in May 02, 2012 -medical furtherance June29-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
encantado said:
All she needs to apply for work permit is:
1. Copy of ONE ID (passport OR travel document OR refugee claimant id)
2. Proof of medical examination
3. Recent photo

Notice of decision, letter of explanation, information about welfare is optional and not required at all. Don't reinvent the wheel.
Medical Exam is not required if the job is not related hospital or health care. During the online application process, there is question about what kind of intended job. If applicant does not select those jobs, the medical exam is waived.

encantado

Star Member
May 2, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
salem10 said:
Medical Exam is not required if the job is not related hospital or health care. During the online application process, there is question about what kind of intended job. If applicant does not select those jobs, the medical exam is waived.
If you apply online under protected persons class - proof of medical examination is mandatory. Otherwise the system won't accept your application. And the person gets an open work permit that allows to work for any employer of your choice.

home3d2001

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 27, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with aplication
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Thank you encantado for the information.

Can she move to another province while her PR is being processed? Currently at the time of filling out the PR forms, she resides in Toronto. However, she might be moving to another province after sending her application. Is this going to be problematic for her case?

Also, how long is going to take for PR application to be processed? is it 12 months? Based on following link, the initial assessments is 12 moths and final decision 10 month.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/perm-other.asp

I appreciate it again for all the helps.It is really helpful.

-h

home3d2001

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 27, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with aplication
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Hi,

What is the difference between Refugee Claimant and protected person?

We are filling out the application and there is a section for status. Which one do we need to select?

Thanks for any help.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
home3d2001 said:
Hi,

What is the difference between Refugee Claimant and protected person?

We are filling out the application and there is a section for status. Which one do we need to select?

Thanks for any help.
Refugee claimant : a person who has claimed/seek protection from canada but the case is not yet decided/accepted or still waiting for the hearing.
Conventional refugee/protected person: the claim is accepted and the claimant is now protected by canada.

After submitting her PR application if she decide to move to some other place (province/city/house) she will need to notify cic about her change in address.

home3d2001

Star Member
Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 27, 2012
IELTS Request
Sent with aplication
Med's Request
17-05-2013
Med's Done....
06-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
16-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
28-08-2013
LANDED..........
31-08-2013
Thank you so much!

-h

htomka

Sep 8, 2015
kriv said:
she can apply for her work permit any time
Hi kriv!

Can you please advice what option should I choose in imm5710E form in case I want to get my second open work permit
1. A work permit with the same employer
2. Restoration of your status as a worker
3. An initial work permit or a work permit with a new employer
4. Temporary resident permit ?

I'm currently working and my first work permit will expire soon, but still valid.

And one more thing: is it necessary to attach
kriv said:
4. a recent photo
and
kriv said:
7. a short explanation letter
?
The reason I'm asking is because those things are not on the list of documents from form IMM5556E

Thank you.

Hanznash

Jan 4, 2016
kriv said:
1. copy of her passport

PR application for protected person:
She can apply for PR application anytime because she is eligible to apply as she is a convention refugee (i.e positive decision from IRB). Most of the people apply instantly after they get their notice of decision in hand. So she must apply for her Permanent residence status without wasting any time. ( i wonder why she didnt apply till now). the only criteria to be eligible to apply for PR for her is to be a convention refugee (which she is already). no requirements such as job, funds..etc.

I came to canada in march 2014 got my refugee case accepted in May 2014 and i instantly applied for my work permit and after few days i also send my PR application. so i am now looking forward to receive my PR status in the next few months (hopefully). SO she shouldn't had wasted her time...anyways still nothing wrong she can apply anytime.

The PR application is submitted on paper NOT online so she can gather all her documents, download the required form from cic website, pay her fee, include her spouse and any of her dependents (no matter where they are living) and send her PR application. if she is married then her husband and other dependents living outside Canada or in-canada will also get PR cards at the same time or 2-3 months after she get her PR.

Hope it helps..and if you have any other questions let me know.

Hi,
i have the same case ( positive final decision convention refugee)
i need the link for the work permit application for protected persons please

Mano1110786

Oct 25, 2019
Hi
Can anybody help
Me plzzzzzz I’m a convention refugee and working too but my work permit got expired on 31 October, 19. How to apply again for the work permit