+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a visitor permit while PR is in process??

Boman744

May 19, 2010
Hey all,

My wife and I got married at the end of April 2010. What are the chances that my wife from Peru would be able to obtain a visitors permit while the Permanent Residency and sponsorship applications are in process? The process is a long 8-12 months... I would love to travel back to Peru to visit her once or twice while waiting.. but taking time off from work is a bit of an issue.

Several months ago she applied for a visitors permit but was denied because she had no ties in Peru at the time (was not working or attending school at the time). So I am wondering if immigrations would allow her to visit, even just for a few weeks while we wait...or would this hamper her chances of obtaining her Permanent Residency and look bad on her record??

Thank you very much for the help.

Bo :)

alisa

Star Member
Jan 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Boman744 said:
Hey all,

My wife and I got married at the end of April 2010. What are the chances that my wife from Peru would be able to obtain a visitors permit while the Permanent Residency and sponsorship applications are in process? The process is a long 8-12 months... I would love to travel back to Peru to visit her once or twice while waiting.. but taking time off from work is a bit of an issue.

Several months ago she applied for a visitors permit but was denied because she had no ties in Peru at the time (was not working or attending school at the time). So I am wondering if immigrations would allow her to visit, even just for a few weeks while we wait...or would this hamper her chances of obtaining her Permanent Residency and look bad on her record??

Thank you very much for the help.

Bo :)
I think if your wife situation is still unchanged, it's likely that they will reject her visa again. But if your wife now has a job or study in school or has any other evidence to prove that she would return to Peru, then she probably get the TRV.

I

iarblue

They will not give her a TRV while in process,you need to really convince them that she will return home after her visit.

rollinsc

Aug 16, 2009
Ok, you have had a lot of the same ideas that I've had as well...

My husband was rejected twice.. its more likely your wife will be rejected now that you are actually married if she tries for another visitors visa. They will reject it based on the fact that since you are married she would have no reason to return to Peru. Its also could be worth it trying to appeal (if you can) saying that you cannot deny her into the country using that same reason: she is your wife.. you are married. But they seem to find a way around not letting them in anyways. Kind of a catch 22, eh?

They have a service standard at immigrations Canada that they'll get 80% of the cases done (out side Canada I think) in less than 12 months for the entire application. I do not understand how Lima, Peru- which is not as underdeveloped and complicated as many other countries if you were doing immigration- can take 12 months just for the Lima part... meaning the entire application takes over an entire year... I just wish we could do something about it, other than wait and be away from our spouses..

suggestions anyone?

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
If they refused one TRV because of no ties to Peru, her situation would have to change before they would issue her a TRV now. A spouse in Canada makes it even less likely she will return.
If she now has a job, provide evidence of the job and a letter from her boss giving her two weeks vacation, or whatever. If she is going to school, get a letter from a school official stating she has leave for two weeks. Also include a receipt for payment of classes that are after her expected date of return. Proof she owns a house, or has mortgage payments or a lease and rent will also show she plans to return. Money in the bank helps too.
Since she has a PR application in, include a letter where she states she does not want to jeopardize her chances for the PR, so will return to Peru to await instructions from the visa officer and for the interview.
Even with this evidence, it is not a sure thing, but some people have gotten a TRV while waiting for their PR application.

TRV applications before a PR application are red flags - the more times a person tried to enter Canada, the more it looks like any marriage is just to enter Canada. Just one TRV application should be fine, though, especially if it was to see you.
TRV applications after a PR application won't hurt the PR application - it just looks like she wanted to come see you while waiting.