+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a travel document before getting PR Card?

Jeca101

Apr 22, 2019
Hello everybody!

This is my first time asking something of this site so I apologize in advance if I'm doing something wrong.

I have just received my record of landing after my interview on April 3rd 2019. They told me my PR was going to take about 43 days to get to me. I was accepted as a refugee and I have read a lot of information here that I shouldn't use the passport I was issued from my home country so I want to apply for a Travel Document.

My question is, do I need to wait for me to get my PR before I apply for the travel document? I know on the application they ask for the PR card as one proof of my status but they also accept the Notice of Decision issued by Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada so I'm planning to send that

Also on the reference part of the application they said I cant put relatives or common law partners. I'm wondering if I can put my boyfriend as a reference? We do not live together, I dont think he counts as a relative or common law partner but I want to make sure that I can put him down as my reference. On the

Also I have been reading about some PR Travel document? I'm a bit confused as to what kind of Travel document I need to apply for since I am now a PR but I'm also a refugee

For the guarantor, they want somebody under one category and I am wondering if for the
Minister of religion authorized under provincial or territorial law to perform marriages option my pastor would be enough??? He doesn't have the authorization to perform marriages but his church is registered and all of that so he counts as a minister of religion right?

Thank you so much for taking time to read my questions and thank you in advance for replying!!

Last edited:

live&love

Apr 25, 2018
If you send your application now with notice of Decision, they will only give you 2 year validity whereas you would get 5 years when you send your PR card with it.

References & guarantor I can’t advice you cuz I’m not sure. Just to be safe, don’t use your boyfriend as a reference.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everybody!

This is my first time asking something of this site so I apologize in advance if I'm doing something wrong.

I have just received my record of landing after my interview on April 3rd 2019. They told me my PR was going to take about 43 days to get to me. I was accepted as a refugee and I have read a lot of information here that I shouldn't use the passport I was issued from my home country so I want to apply for a Travel Document.

My question is, do I need to wait for me to get my PR before I apply for the travel document? I know on the application they ask for the PR card as one proof of my status but they also accept the Notice of Decision issued by Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada so I'm planning to send that

Also on the reference part of the application they said I cant put relatives or common law partners. I'm wondering if I can put my boyfriend as a reference? We do not live together, I dont think he counts as a relative or common law partner but I want to make sure that I can put him down as my reference. On the

Also I have been reading about some PR Travel document? I'm a bit confused as to what kind of Travel document I need to apply for since I am now a PR but I'm also a refugee

For the guarantor, they want somebody under one category and I am wondering if for the
Minister of religion authorized under provincial or territorial law to perform marriages option my pastor would be enough??? He doesn't have the authorization to perform marriages but his church is registered and all of that so he counts as a minister of religion right?

Thank you so much for taking time to read my questions and thank you in advance for replying!!
The RTD ( refugee travel document) is to replace the passport from your home country that you can’t use. You will need to carry both your
PR card and RTD to travel. You will also need to check if you need a visa to enter a country. RTD holders often require a visa when Canadian citizens with a Canadian passport don’t. Some countries will not admit you with just an RTD. You will have to wait for citizenship to enter those countries.

Not sure about the pastor. There should be a list of potential guarantors. You can approach your doctor for example.

Dinc

Feb 19, 2019
Hi dear friends,
I have not received my travel doc so far (30 days passed from applying and handing over the docs in Ottawa). My other friend which we applied together on the same day received their travel doc a week ago. I checked my post office for any possible missing of notice tag. But they said we have not received anything by your name so far.
What is your opinion on this situation? something may be wrong? what should I do or where should I call to resolve or track this matter
Thanks in advance