+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

applying for a Travel Document abroad

vladfromNYC

Jul 22, 2008
Dear experts, please help!
I obtained my Canadian PR in Jan 2007, but didn't move full-time to Canada till Sept 2010.
At the time I arrived in Canada in Sept 2010, the border officer didn't ask me too many questions about my length of time spent in Canada - he just let me in.
So, I've been quietly sitting here in Canada accumulating my 2 years of presence in Canada. Which I did, just recently.
I was about to apply for the renewal of my PR card, when a family member back in Russia died yesterday ..... and I dont know what to do ....

I don't have a valid PR in my hands - the one that I have expired in Jan 2012, but I feel really bad not going to the funeral ....

Let's say I went - how would I get back to Canada?

If I applied for the Permanent Resident Travel Document back in Moscow, would the officer launch an investigation into how much time I spent in Canada?

Will they deny me the Travel Document if they realize I spent more than 3 years between Jan 2007 and Sept 2010 outside of Canada?

Will the give me the Travel Document since in the most recent 5 years I have been in Canada non-stop for the past 2+ years?

Thanks!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They may only look at the past 5 years when they assess your application. If you have 2 in 5 years in the last 5 years, you are ok as long as you can prove it.

mzl

Oct 28, 2012
If you have a US visa, I think it is easier to go back to Canada from US through land border. They MUST pass you even if you show them expired card. Basically all you need is to show at any Canadian border even if it will be airport.