+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a study permit and studying in Canada while owning a sole proprietorship in Sweden?

max1994

Dec 23, 2023
I currently own a business in Sweden, it's a sole proprietorship that employs 3 other people. I could leave the business in their hands but it would still be in my name as all of them know the business and how to manage it properly. I wouldn't have to do anything (and wouldn't earn any money myself) but the business would still be in my name.

I wonder if this is possible? Will it affect anything in any way if I do not have income from the business and all of the transactions in the business are local (i.e. they're all inside of Sweden)?

Can anyone recommed who to contact to find everything out?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I currently own a business in Sweden, it's a sole proprietorship that employs 3 other people. I could leave the business in their hands but it would still be in my name as all of them know the business and how to manage it properly. I wouldn't have to do anything (and wouldn't earn any money myself) but the business would still be in my name.

I wonder if this is possible? Will it affect anything in any way if I do not have income from the business and all of the transactions in the business are local (i.e. they're all inside of Sweden)?

Can anyone recommed who to contact to find everything out?
Owning a business is not an issue as it is a tie to return. Show that you are leaving the business and it is being run by someone else while you study. Your funds must be from personal accounts, not business. You need to show how taking the program will build your business.

Assume you are citizen or PR of Sweden to show ties to return.

max1994

Dec 23, 2023
Owning a business is not an issue as it is a tie to return. Show that you are leaving the business and it is being run by someone else while you study. Your funds must be from personal accounts, not business. You need to show how taking the program will build your business.
Thank you, Naturgrl,

I have a full time job with which I will have funds to move and study in Canada. I also will have a student loan to cover tuition.

I wonder what about the income from the business? Can I still earn any money from that business when I'm studying in Canada or are there any other implications?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you, Naturgrl,

I have a full time job with which I will have funds to move and study in Canada. I also will have a student loan to cover tuition.

I wonder what about the income from the business? Can I still earn any money from that business when I'm studying in Canada or are there any other implications?
You have to declare your worldwide income on Canadian taxes. When you come to Canada get an accountant familiar with it. Show your PR/citizenship to return to Sweden as a business is not a tie unless you can return.

max1994

Dec 23, 2023
You have to declare your worldwide income on Canadian taxes. When you come to Canada get an accountant familiar with it. Show your PR/citizenship to return to Sweden as a business is not a tie unless you can return.
Thank you. I see. I currently have a salary from the business (most of the money goes to employees and the business itself). If I decrease my salary to 0, should I be concerned with the internal cash flow in my business in any way or is it only the personal income that I get from the business as a salary that I need to concern myself with when it comes to taxes in Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you. I see. I currently have a salary from the business (most of the money goes to employees and the business itself). If I decrease my salary to 0, should I be concerned with the internal cash flow in my business in any way or is it only the personal income that I get from the business as a salary that I need to concern myself with when it comes to taxes in Canada?
Your business is in Sweden and follows those tax laws. If in Canada, you declare personal income and if 0 then 0. Are you a citizen/PR, if not you need to prove that you can return to the business.

max1994

Dec 23, 2023
Your business is in Sweden and follows those tax laws. If in Canada, you declare personal income and if 0 then 0.
Thank you for your help, Naturgrl,

Should there be any difficulties if I decided to transfer the ownership of my business while still in Canada (meaning I would transfer ownership let's say 2 years into my program)?

Also, should I base my choice of program on my belief of how the knowledge and skills acquired would improve my business? I wanted to write about how the technology market in Sweden is very advanced and how having a software engineering advanced diploma would make me stand out amongst other applicants in the tech sector. My business is construction and quite frankly it doesn't have much to do with programming. I was thinking that I would maintain the business as one reason to go back as it is making money and I would want it to continue to prosper under my leadership but the reason for study would be to acquire good qualifications as a software engineer to attack the incredibly prosperous swedish tech market. What do you think?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your help, Naturgrl,

Should there be any difficulties if I decided to transfer the ownership of my business while still in Canada (meaning I would transfer ownership let's say 2 years into my program)?

Also, should I base my choice of program on my belief of how the knowledge and skills acquired would improve my business? I wanted to write about how the technology market in Sweden is very advanced and how having a software engineering advanced diploma would make me stand out amongst other applicants in the tech sector. My business is construction and quite frankly it doesn't have much to do with programming. I was thinking that I would maintain the business as one reason to go back as it is making money and I would want it to continue to prosper under my leadership but the reason for study would be to acquire good qualifications as a software engineer to attack the incredibly prosperous swedish tech market. What do you think?
It is your business. You can do what you want with it. Nothing to do with Canada. How old are you? Assume you are taking a post graduate program and not a post secondary program. You say software engineer which usually involves a university degree. You need to show career and education advancement to justify costs and explain why you need to take the program in Canada and not Sweden. If Swedish market is advanced then assume its post education system (better than Canada’s) is focused on IT advancements. Not sure why you need to study in Canada as you would want your skills to match Sweden’s.

max1994

Dec 23, 2023
It is your business. You can do what you want with it. Nothing to do with Canada. How old are you? Assume you are taking a post graduate program and not a post secondary program. You say software engineer which usually involves a university degree. You need to show career and education advancement to justify costs and explain why you need to take the program in Canada and not Sweden. If Swedish market is advanced then assume its post education system (better than Canada’s) is focused on IT advancements. Not sure why you need to study in Canada as you would want your skills to match Sweden’s.
Sweden is already my second country. I'm 29 years old and I've moved here when I was 17. Having dropped out of high school immediately upon arrival, I started working in construction until I was 26. I then decided to go back to school and finish my secondary education because I knew I wanted to become an engineer. I have finished the GED at the age of 28, found a remote customer service job and started saving for studies. Now I'm 29, saved up around $20,000 CAD and I'm ready to finally get higher education.

My secondary education was in natural sciences (maths, physics, and programming) and I took a gap year to save up money. I reckon it should satisfy the continuity aspect and make sense in terms of my goals.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Sweden is already my second country. I'm 29 years old and I've moved here when I was 17. Having dropped out of high school immediately upon arrival, I started working in construction until I was 26. I then decided to go back to school and finish my secondary education because I knew I wanted to become an engineer. I have finished the GED at the age of 28, found a remote customer service job and started saving for studies. Now I'm 29, saved up around $20,000 CAD and I'm ready to finally get higher education.

My secondary education was in natural sciences (maths, physics, and programming) and I took a gap year to save up money. I reckon it should satisfy the continuity aspect and make sense in terms of my goals.
You need more money saved after paying tuition. You just finished your GED and now want to come to Canada. So that will be an issue at 29, applying for a post secondary program and wanting to come to Canada. So you need to prove ties to home country if you are not PR/citizen. Again, need to show why you need to take a post secondary program at 29 with such a study gap. If it makes sense for your career goals then show that. If you are really serious may want to consider a degree.

max1994

Dec 23, 2023
The tuition, living expenses, rent and travel are covered by the Swedish student loan so the 20,000 is money I have outside of that.

My home country is Poland, so a 40 min flight. My mom is there and she's retired.

I didn't suspect that it would actually be an issue to have gone back to school at 25 and then want to pursue post secondary education in Canada. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I am indeed serious but the costs of a degree are too high for an international student. I am planning to enter a degree completion program either during or after finishing the adv. diploma.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The tuition, living expenses, rent and travel are covered by the Swedish student loan so the 20,000 is money I have outside of that.

My home country is Poland, so a 40 min flight. My mom is there and she's retired.

I didn't suspect that it would actually be an issue to have gone back to school at 25 and then want to pursue post secondary education in Canada. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

I am indeed serious but the costs of a degree are too high for an international student. I am planning to enter a degree completion program either during or after finishing the adv. diploma.
So if planning to do a degree then why Canada? You said you are 29 and just completed GED. You will be with students who may be 17 years old. IRCC will look at the study gap. Where do you have admission because some schools don’t accept such gaps because refusals of study permits are higher? You will need to explain your status in Sweden and that you are able to come back and work. If not then you explain purpose of taking program and returning to Poland.

Reactions: YVR123

max1994

Dec 23, 2023
Thank you, Naturgrl,

I will study at Sheridan College in Ontario. I've always dreamt to study and live in Canada. I also want to study in English as it is my first language and there are no English-taught software programs in Sweden. I'm aware of the fact that there's going to be several younger students but that's okay. My Swedish citizenship is coming in January so I will definitely have the option to go back to Sweden open.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
Again, need to show why you need to take a post secondary program at 29 with such a study gap. If it makes sense for your career goals then show that. If you are really serious may want to consider a degree.
Bollocks! I came here in 2013 as a student at the ripe old age of 48, also from Sweden. I had decades of study gap and never studied at a college/uni. I didn’t even have a high school diploma. Which is one of the reasons I had to seek education abroad as none of the Swedish universities would touch me with a barge-pole, without that diploma. I did study my field of work though. Single person, no kids, and in reality no ties to my home country either. I’m now a Canadian Citizen.

@max1994 you might want to check into the legalities in regards to staying as a student loan from CSN may prevent you from eligibility for Post Graduate Work Permit.

Edited to correct the year. It was 2013 and not 1983 as the original said. I’m old, just not THAT old. ROTFLOL

Last edited:

max1994

Dec 23, 2023
Bollocks! I came here in 1983 as a student at the ripe old age of 48, also from Sweden. I had decades of study gap and never studied at a college/uni. I didn’t ev ofen have a high school diploma. Which is one of the reasons I had to seek education abroad as none of the Swedish universities would touch me with a barge-pole, without that diploma. I did study my field of work though. Single person, no kids, and in reality no ties to my home country either. I’m now a Canadian Citizen.

@max1994 you might want to check into the legalities in regards to staying as a student loan from CSN may prevent you from eligibility for Post Graduate Work Permit.
Wow!!!!

Man, that's a wild story. I would love to hear more about it!!! Is there any way I can contact you privately?