+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a PGWP while student permit expired and need work

JaleelGuimba

Nov 24, 2017
So I applied for my PGWP after my student permit expired 5 days ago and applied to restore my status as a student. However I have seen some say you cannot work while waiting for it to be approved and that is an issue as I hear it takes 4 months or more. I cannot do anything for 4 months and all and need work. Is there anything I can do to get assistance or try and work temporarily?

Shawaiz

May 18, 2020
Hey, sorry for the situation you are in. While you can work on implied status, I am not sure about the expired study permit. It's better to not work or flagpole if you want PGWP quicker.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So I applied for my PGWP after my student permit expired 5 days ago and applied to restore my status as a student. However I have seen some say you cannot work while waiting for it to be approved and that is an issue as I hear it takes 4 months or more. I cannot do anything for 4 months and all and need work. Is there anything I can do to get assistance or try and work temporarily?
You can’t work because you are out of status.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
So what did you do first? Did you apply to restore your status before applying for a PGWP or did you apply for a PGWP with an expired permit?

JaleelGuimba

Nov 24, 2017
So what did you do first? Did you apply to restore your status before applying for a PGWP or did you apply for a PGWP with an expired permit?
I did this:
To restore your status as a student, you must

• apply online for your PGWP and pay the correct fee ($255) and
  • pay the fee to restore your status as a student ($350)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I did this:
To restore your status as a student, you must

• apply online for your PGWP and pay the correct fee ($255) and
  • pay the fee to restore your status as a student ($350)
Because you let your study permit expire and the applied at the same time, you can’t work until your applications are processed.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181

JaleelGuimba

Nov 24, 2017
At same time I did this:
Because you let your study permit expire and the applied at the same time, you can’t work until your applications are processed.

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181
But it takes like 6 months to get one though....I can't do nothing for 6 months and all
I will call someone at IRCC to try and figure something out

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
At same time I did this:

But it takes like 6 months to get one though....I can't do nothing for 6 months and all
I will call someone at IRCC to try and figure something out
Not sure what IRCC can figure out for you. They will not be able to bend the rules for you. All you are talking to call centre agents not officers who make the decisions. You can’t work.

Last edited: