+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a passport - a few quetions

Eitan-ro

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018
Hi,
I have couple of question:
  1. I have my citizenship ceremony this Saturday, how long after that I can apply for a passport?
  2. We are planing to ravel to the US at the end of April, so I'm planing on applying for a passport in person (I think that their regular timeline is good enough, is that correct?), can I apply and give the documents for my family without them being present with me?
    Meaning, I will go alone to passport Canada and give the documents for myself and the rest of family, is that possible?
Thanks,
Eitan

gen_z

May 23, 2018
Hi I have similar questions.

I think you have to wait until you receive your citizenship certificate, then you can apply.

I'm curious about 1 thing, I'm an Australian citizen as well, so I would be able to travel to the US and back to Canada. if I don't get my Canadian passport on time, can I use my Australian passport instead (to enter Canada)?

gen_z

May 23, 2018
No, you have to use your Canadian passport when leave or enter the Canada
I see, thanks.

Do you know how long it takes for us to get it? It says that it should take less than 25 business days, that makes it a bit tight for me, since I will be traveling in mid April.

Eitan-ro

Star Member
Oct 9, 2018
My friends told that they pretty efficient (very surprising...), so I have my hopes up

gen_z

May 23, 2018
Great, thanks.

Sorry, I just have 1 more question. It seems like we need to submit a document as a proof of ID. Apparently, we can submit a photocopy for this, but it doesn't say if it has to be a colored photocopy or would a black and white copy be fine.

gen_z

May 23, 2018
Also, it seems that we need to schedule an appointment online in order to go and apply in person, right?

RiZ92

Aug 27, 2013
Great, thanks.

Sorry, I just have 1 more question. It seems like we need to submit a document as a proof of ID. Apparently, we can submit a photocopy for this, but it doesn't say if it has to be a colored photocopy or would a black and white copy be fine.
The general rule is, always submit color copy.

c.cruz91

Star Member
Sep 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB
Hi,
I have couple of question:
  1. I have my citizenship ceremony this Saturday, how long after that I can apply for a passport?
  2. We are planing to ravel to the US at the end of April, so I'm planing on applying for a passport in person (I think that their regular timeline is good enough, is that correct?), can I apply and give the documents for my family without them being present with me?
    Meaning, I will go alone to passport Canada and give the documents for myself and the rest of family, is that possible?
Thanks,
Eitan
You can only apply for your passport once you've received your citizenship certificate, which should arrive 2-4 weeks after your oath ceremony.
When you apply for your passport:
1. if you need to travel within 25 days, you can apply in person but you need to provide proof of of your travel plans (e.g. flight tickets, etc). Otherwise, they won't give you an appointment to go to their office.
2. if you don't need to travel within 25, you must apply by mail.

Regarding your family's documents, I'm guessing you can submit your minor dependents' documents on their behalf. However, your spouse is a grown person, so I assume they have to submit their own application.