+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a New Study Permit inside Canada (New Regulations)

richardlin

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 9, 2016
File Transfer...
Sep 16, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sep 28, 2016 (Passed)
Interview........
No (Jan 11, 2017 Decision Made on ECAS)
Passport Req..
Jan 24, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 5, 2017
Hi there,

I am a visitor in Canada. I want to apply for a Study Permit without going back to my country (under the new regulations).
I have been waiting until 1st June, however, I think everything regarding to the new regulations (forms, information) in CIC website is not fully updated yet.

I have some questions about this...

As of June 1, 2014, certain foreign nationals may apply for and receive a study permit from within Canada.
Does anyone here know which certain foreign nationals can apply? I am afraid that my country is not in the list.

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
richardlin said:
Hi there,

I am a visitor in Canada. I want to apply for a Study Permit without going back to my country (under the new regulations).
I have been waiting until 1st June, however, I think everything regarding to the new regulations (forms, information) in CIC website is not fully updated yet.

I have some questions about this...

Does anyone here know which certain foreign nationals can apply? I am afraid that my country is not in the list.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp
If you are in Canada as a visitor and wish to apply for a study permit to attend a designated learning institution, you may be able to do so from within Canada. As of June 1, 2014, certain foreign nationals may apply for and receive a study permit from within Canada. These include:
•minor children studying at the primary or secondary level;
•exchange or visiting students; and
•students who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution.

So, under the new rules you can only apply for a SP from within Canada if you are already in school for some program that is a pre-condition for acceptance in a designated institution (i.e: english language classes)

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
propain said:
Any idea if someone came on a closed work permit and wishes to study
As I read the regulations, NO

You were not in school in Canada with your closed work permit so you do not qualify to apply within Canada

richardlin

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 9, 2016
File Transfer...
Sep 16, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sep 28, 2016 (Passed)
Interview........
Passport Req..
Jan 24, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 5, 2017
Thanks for your response.

I am from Indonesia. Even after june 1st I couldn't find the list of countries regarding to this new regulation. :(

propain said:
which country are you from.

richardlin

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 9, 2016
File Transfer...
Sep 16, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sep 28, 2016 (Passed)
Interview........
Passport Req..
Jan 24, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 5, 2017
Hi, thanks for responding

I finished short English course and passed the requirement to go to the Academic program in a designated institution.
So do you think it doesn't matter which country i am from?

txboyscout said:
If you are in Canada as a visitor and wish to apply for a study permit to attend a designated learning institution, you may be able to do so from within Canada. As of June 1, 2014, certain foreign nationals may apply for and receive a study permit from within Canada. These include:
•minor children studying at the primary or secondary level;
•exchange or visiting students; and
•students who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a condition for acceptance at a designated institution.

So, under the new rules you can only apply for a SP from within Canada if you are already in school for some program that is a pre-condition for acceptance in a designated institution (i.e: english language classes)

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
richardlin said:
Hi, thanks for responding

I finished short English course and passed the requirement to go to the Academic program in a designated institution.
So do you think it doesn't matter which country i am from?
The requirement to apply for Study Permit within Canada has nothing to do with which country you are from---as long as you are in Canada legally and have met the requirements you can apply within Canada

m.chippy

Dec 12, 2013
Hi everyone,

I have a question about the new immigration rules as well.

My 15 year old sister is currently visiting me in Canada for the holidays. During her time here, she gained admission to an International school to complete her last 2 years of high school (she had applied before coming to Canada). Under the new rules, it says you can apply from inside Canada if you gain admission to a designated institution but the school she gained acceptance to is not on the list of 'designated institutions'- Do you think she will be able to apply from here and get a study permit? We are from Nigeria by the way

Thank you :D

richardlin

Star Member
May 14, 2014
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
Aug 14, 2016
AOR Received.
Sep 9, 2016
File Transfer...
Sep 16, 2016
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
Sep 28, 2016 (Passed)
Interview........
Passport Req..
Jan 24, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 1, 2017
LANDED..........
Feb 5, 2017
Hi m.chippy, I don't think your sister will be able to apply. It's clearly said that it must be a designated learning institutions.

m.chippy said:
Hi everyone,

My 15 year old sister is currently visiting me in Canada for the holidays. During her time here, she gained admission to an International school to complete her last 2 years of high school (she had applied before coming to Canada). Under the new rules, it says you can apply from inside Canada if you gain admission to a designated institution but the school she gained acceptance to is not on the list of 'designated institutions'- Do you think she will be able to apply from here and get a study permit? We are from Nigeria by the way

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
m.chippy said:
Hi everyone,

As I read the rules, NO. She has to have been in school in Canada in order to apply for a SP from within Canada.

The new rules have been implemented to make it easier for people who were in school in Canada to be able to apply for a SP within Canada without having to do so in their home counties.

Trevisol

Jun 21, 2014
Dear Richardlin:

You may apply for a study permit within canada, please follow the instruction in the website. You have eligibility as you have studies in canada before. Please make sure you attached copy of you letter of acceptance from previous school and mention your real interests. Also, the new school must be a designated school in canada. This means approved by cic, which can be found at designated school on google

best wishes

cocoduro

Star Member
Jun 19, 2014
propain said:
Any idea if someone came on a closed work permit and wishes to study
as per cic website, you can apply from within canada

"Who may apply for a study permit from within Canada?

The following persons may apply from within Canada:

Holders of valid work or study permits and their family members;
Persons studying at pre-school, primary or secondary level;
Visiting or exchange students studying at a Designated Learning Institution (DLI);
Persons who have completed a short-term course or program of study that is a prerequisite to their enrolling at a DLI;
Holders of temporary resident permits (TRPs) valid for a minimum of six months and their family members;
Refugee claimants and persons subject to an unenforceable removal order;
In-Canada permanent resident applicants and their family members who are determined eligible for permanent residents (PR) status in one of the following classes:
live-in caregiver, spouse or common-law partner, protected persons, and humanitarian and compassionate considerations (H&C);
Persons whose study permits were authorized by a visa office abroad, where the permit was not issued at a port of entry;
Family members of athletes on a Canadian-based team, media representatives, members of the clergy, or military personnel assigned to Canada."

prabh7777

Star Member
Mar 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
nova scotia ,sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27 nov 2013
Nomination.....
3 july 2014