+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a CAN plus visa - (how) does it help?

U_rad

May 1, 2017
Hello everyone,

I find myself in a bit of a conundrum. Here is the situation:

1. My friend is getting married on the 2nd of June near Vancouver. I was unable to apply earlier for a visa and was faced with the prospect of applying for one with a very tight timeline. I had initially planned on attending the wedding, followed by a visit to my uncle's place in the US around the 7th/8th of June. So I thought I would book tickets to the US (landing June 1st) and then, if I got the visa, book onward tickets to Canada. And then, I figured if my passport was stuck at the consulate, I may not be able to make even the US leg of my trip. So I decided against applying for the Canada visa.

2. Today, I came across the CAN plus visa program and then after speaking with someone at the VFS office in India who told me it takes 21 calendar days (not business days), I am beginning to rethink my earlier decision of not applying. Also, the real clincher for me was that if I had to apply for a normal TRV, I would need to turn in the invitation letter which would take another 2 days for my friend to notarise and then send across.

My questions:
1. Is it really enough to just turn in the forms and your passport(s) with evidence of prior travel to the US for the CAN plus? I ask this although I am aware, from reading other posts here that it always helps to substantiate with as many documents. (Note: I studied in the US several years ago and made a trip to the US 3 years ago and hold a reasonably well-travelled passport).
BUT given the time constraints, is the CAN plus a wise thing to do?
2. If yes, is it better to apply online or turn in the application at the VFS office here in Chennai?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. (sorry about the lengthy query)

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

You've got a few basics wrong.

1. CAN+ means expedited processing (in most cases) + submission of fewer financial documents. Everything else remains the same i.e. you must prove the purpose of visit + strong ties to India, etc

2. The VFS guy is wrong. 21 days is currently the estimated processing time for regular processing. CAN+ processing is much faster.

3. You can apply online by giving an India residence address. If you get a passport request when you're in the US then you can mail your passport to the NY/LA VAC (whichever is closer to where you are). You'll have to factor in passport transmission time and ensure you do not need your passport for any onward travel in the interim.

A word of caution:
Online applications can be processed anywhere in the IRCC global network.... and in case your app is not considered under CAN+, then online app processing is currently taking much longer than the time stated on the IRCC website

4. For purpose of visit: Your friend can provide an invitation letter + wedding invitation. Notarization is NOT required. PDF format of the invitation letter will suffice.

I would not limit my purpose of visit to just the wedding. I would also include some sightseeing/meeting friends etc in a day-by-day itinerary.

It would also help to include any flight bookings to/from the US to India i.e. after your Canada visit

Cheers

Reactions: khanim

U_rad

May 1, 2017
Hello Bryanna,

Thanks so much for your reply. Things are so much clearer already. Two clarifications:

"You can apply online by giving an India residence address. If you get a passport request when you're in the US then you can mail your passport to the NY/LA VAC (whichever is closer to where you are). You'll have to factor in passport transmission time and ensure you do not need your passport for any onward travel in the interim."

In case I get a request for passport only on say the 25th of May and its still too close to my travel date (say June 1st), is it Ok for me to mail my passport to a VAC once I reach the US? How important is this time window between the request and the submission?

"It would also help to include any flight bookings to/from the US to India i.e. after your Canada visit"

I was going to include my round-trip tickets for the US but wasn't sure about the NYC -Vancouver tickets since they would be expensive to cancel at the last minute. Would it be ok if I explained this in my cover letter?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
U_rad said:
In case I get a request for passport only on say the 25th of May and its still too close to my travel date (say June 1st), is it Ok for me to mail my passport to a VAC once I reach the US? How important is this time window between the request and the submission?
That's not enough time to mail your passport to the US VAC and get it back in time for your Canada visit.

I suggest you apply online asap while you're still in India. And, all going well for your CAN+ application if you get a passport request when you're in India then you can submit your passport to the Bangalore VFS (with copies of your flight tickets, a request for expedited stamping, etc).

There were similar cases when passports were stamped in 1-2 days in India.

I was going to include my round-trip tickets for the US but wasn't sure about the NYC -Vancouver tickets since they would be expensive to cancel at the last minute. Would it be ok if I explained this in my cover letter?
You can include copies of your India>>US>>India flight tickets + provisional flight bookings for NYC-YVR (not confirmed bookings). And state that you will book confirmed tickets when the TRV is issued

U_rad

May 1, 2017
Ok got it. Best option is to turn in my online application asap.

About the US part (in case, I do not get my visa in time after all): I plan to leave for the US by May 31st or June 1st and will have to skip the wedding since it'd be too late. But I still might get the passport request while Im in the US. In that case, does one need to submit their passport to the closest VAC right away? (since I might need my passport there for travelling purposes); you mentioned "passport transmission time" - how long is this usually?

And regarding supporting documents for "purpose of visit + strong ties to India" and "fewer financial documents". could you please verify if the following suffice OR if Im missing out something?

1. purpose of visit: invitation letter + wedding invite + an itinerary + details in cover letter
2. strong ties to India: all family members live in India, employed here (leave of absence from employer showing proof of employment)
3. fewer financial documents: would a 6-month bank statement + salary slips + IT returns (last 3 years) suffice (I have IT returns only for 1 year since I changed jobs recently and did not file in the last 2 years);
I hope I dont need to furnish details regarding "assets" in India - this would take time. Also, this is not needed for "visiting family/friends", which I am, but suggested for "tourism".

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
U_rad said:
you mentioned "passport transmission time" - how long is this usually?
About 7-10 days if you follow the instructions correctly.

And regarding supporting documents for "purpose of visit + strong ties to India" and "fewer financial documents". could you please verify if the following suffice OR if Im missing out something?

1. purpose of visit: invitation letter + wedding invite + an itinerary + details in cover letter
If the invitation letter does not mention accommodation at your friend's house then do include provisional hotel bookings. Also, the itinerary must include expense estimates.

2. strong ties to India: all family members live in India, employed here (leave of absence from employer showing proof of employment)
Is your family dependent on you financially? Are you married and your spouse/kids are not accompanying you? You must include evidence for the situations applicable to you.

Employment: Employment letter + leave approval letter etc etc

3. fewer financial documents: would a 6-month bank statement + salary slips + IT returns (last 3 years) suffice (I have IT returns only for 1 year since I changed jobs recently and did not file in the last 2 years);
a. Have you paid advance tax?

b. Form 16?

Do include receipts for the above

I hope I dont need to furnish details regarding "assets" in India - this would take time. Also, this is not needed for "visiting family/friends", which I am, but suggested for "tourism".
On the contrary, property ownership is a strong tie irrespective of whether you are applying as a tourist or for visiting family/friends. If you own a property then include the ownership documents + property tax receipts + self-valuation for the current market rates

You must also prepare a 'Travel History' explanation.... in a tabular format (chronological for the last 10 years), give visa details + entry/exit dates + purpose of each visit

BTW for CAN+ you must scan the US visa + scan entry/exit stamps + clearly state in the cover letter that you are applying under the CAN+ program

U_rad

May 1, 2017
Thanks for the detailed explanation Bryanna.

1. No, I will not be staying at my friend's place. But, the invitation (which is from her to-be-father-in-law, a Canadian citizen and resident), mentions the Hotel name and address where group reservations have been made for all wedding guests.

2. No, no dependents. By family, I meant my mother and father live in India and I do not have any close relatives living in Canada currently. I am a single female and hoping this is not a problem. i have been told in the past that it can be an issue for an unattached, single woman to be travelling internationally. sounds archaic. but true.

3. I have not paid advance tax but have form 16 from 2014, the last year I filed and from years prior to that.

4. I understand your point about assets but this would mean getting a letter of support from my father detailing his property, holdings etc. stating that he would be willing to support me on the trip. I see that this would boost my chances but can take (precious) time at this point.

well, anyway, thanks again! you are so amazing with your replies. and so prompt.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
U_rad said:
4. I understand your point about assets but this would mean getting a letter of support from my father detailing his property, holdings etc. stating that he would be willing to support me on the trip. I see that this would boost my chances but can take (precious) time at this point.
Unfortunately, you cannot include your dad's property ownership documents as it does not belong to you.

IMO, you must focus on your employment ties + strong financial situation + previous travel history

Jaspreet608

Oct 10, 2018
Hey Guys,
I just got to know about Can+ program.
Does anyone have idea how to apply for it?
My mom is planning a visit to Canada, She has already been to Canada once in 2017 but I don’t know how apply for Can+ program ?
Is Can + application get submiited just like Normal Tourist Visa application or is there something else ?
Is there anywhere else online I read about it?
Any help is appreciated
Cheers