+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for a BOWP while my PR EE CEC application is processed

PMatter11

Apr 21, 2020
Hi -
I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

I applied for Permanent Residency through the Canadian Experience Class on April 16th. My current open work permit expires on May 11, 2020.
I was hoping to apply for a BOWP but it seems impossible since my current work permit expires in less than a month.
Is there any other options or way around this?
I've tried everything online without luck.

I'm also wondering about my SIN, do I need to apply for a new SIN number while I have implied status?
I can't seem to find any answers to my questions online so any help will be greatly appreciated
Many thanks
P.

PMatter11

Apr 21, 2020
Hi e_ash!
I tried but when I try to upload the form it tells me that it could not be submitted because my "status expiry date is incorrect". I will try again from the start maybe I'm doing something wrong
Thank you!!

Reactions: roxaino

Keepers

Jun 9, 2018
Hi -

I applied for Permanent Residency through the Canadian Experience Class on April 16th. My current open work permit expires on May 11, 2020.
I was hoping to apply for a BOWP but it seems impossible since my current work permit expires in less than a month.

I'm also wondering about my SIN, do I need to apply for a new SIN number while I have implied status?
I can't seem to find any answers to my questions online so any help will be greatly appreciated
Many thanks
P.
Hi you may need to apply via paper and mail it off. The online portal might not allow you to do so. Please reach out to IRCC via webform. They will let you know

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You are exactly who the BOWP program is designed for.

There should be no issue with an expiry date of May 11, 2020 - you can apply for the BOWP up to and including May 11. Make sure you're not reversing the Month and Day fields (if you are and the form thinks you're saying November 5, then you will not be eligible).

If you are not able to apply, you are making an error somewhere. Common errors are using the wrong application form, and not answering "Yes" to the approved-in-principal question.

Last edited:

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
No, your SIN number will not change until you obtain PR status. Even though your SIN may "expire" it is a unique number that is assigned to you until you change it, and your employer can continue to use it (assuming you get implied status).

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi -

Many thanks
P.
This is the criteria for BOWP according to IRCC:

"To be eligible, you must:

• live in Canada (Quebec not included)
  • have a valid work permit that expires in 4 months or less
  • be the principal applicant on your permanent residence application
  • have submitted a complete application for permanent residence and passed the completeness check
  • have your acknowledgement of receipt letter
    • we send this letter to your account after we get your permanent residence application."

What makes your think you are not eligible?
if you are in Canada, have a valid work permit and you are the principal applicant of your PR application and have received the AOR, you are eligible.

Where did you get this from?:
"I was hoping to apply for a BOWP but it seems impossible since my current work permit expires in less than a month." --> FALSE

Nadeem123

Jun 4, 2017
Did you receive your BWP please? or any one here who recently got BOWP - mine is almost 4 weeks post submission. Thanks

Keepers

Jun 9, 2018
Did you receive your BWP please? or any one here who recently got BOWP - mine is almost 4 weeks post submission. Thanks
Hey, When I applied for mine it was delivered via mail on March 19th and eventually processed and approved June23rd.

Keepers

Jun 9, 2018
Hey, When I applied for mine it was delivered via mail on March 19th and eventually processed and approved June23rd.
That was at the start of Covid19, so possible the same 3-4months wait.. I have a friend who submitted same time frame as you and no update yet. Dont worry it will all work out. )