+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying citizenship - PR expiring shortly

mickeyindia

Dec 14, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All.

I am eligible to apply for canadian citizenship. I was eligible in June 2017 and waited a few extra weeks to make sure its safe to apply.

While I am applying for the citizenship, I have a question on permanent resident status in Canada.

I live in Canada and intend to live in Canada while my citizenship is in process. My PR card expires in few months (dec 2017).

Do i need to renew my PR card if i submit my application for citizenship and don't leave the country?
Having an expired PR card while citizenship application is underway an issue?
While getting approved for citizenship what proves my status in Canada? I always thought the PR card was only a document to enter into Canada and does it interfere with the permanent resident status somehow?

Appreciate your help

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
Do i need to renew my PR card if i submit my application for citizenship and don't leave the country?
You don't need to renew PR
Having an expired PR card while citizenship application is underway an issue?
No
While getting approved for citizenship what proves my status in Canada?
CoPR for one

I always thought the PR card was only a document to enter into Canada and does it interfere with the permanent resident status somehow?
PR card is only document which helps you board a Canadian bound commercial airplane/ship/vehicle. Having valid PR card does not mean you are PR; Likewise, not having PR card does not mean you are not a PR. PR card is just a travel document...

mickeyindia

Dec 14, 2009
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need to renew PR

No

CoPR for one

PR card is only document which helps you board a Canadian bound commercial airplane/ship/vehicle. Having valid PR card does not mean you are PR; Likewise, not having PR card does not mean you are not a PR. PR card is just a travel document...
That was to the point, thank you :)

Reactions: vancouverbc2013

despacito

Aug 3, 2017
Montreal
I was able to apply for citizenship with an expired PR card. I passed my citizenship test and am currently waiting for the oath ceremony. But I have encountered a major problem when applying for a job with the federal government, the officer who was doing my background check told me she couldn't accept my expired PR card and so I had no way of proving that I currently hold a valid PR status. I don't know if that completely ruined my chance of getting the position since they haven't gotten back to me yet but just goes to show you that the PR card is becoming more than just a travel document. It wouldn't hurt to renew it, better safe than sorry!

Reactions: vancouverbc2013