+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying citizenship for minor PR kid with Canadian parent.

SayMyName

Feb 18, 2023
Hi All,

We are trying to apply citizenship for my minor daughter who is currently a PR of Canada.

While my citizenship is in progress, my husband recently acquired citizenship and has a citizenship certificate and we were planning to have him as person applying for minor's citizenship.

1. Can you please let us know if he can do so?

2. Form has a section that asks for citizenship certificate number. Does he need to send copy of his citizenship certificate, canadian passport, etc. too as supporting document ? Document checklist doesn't state anything like that.

P.S. My daughter is a US citizen and as we were figuring out legal aspect of dual citizenship, we went ahead and filed our application and didn't file family application with her as minor. But would like to do so now.

Thanks !

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi All,

We are trying to apply citizenship for my minor daughter who is currently a PR of Canada.

While my citizenship is in progress, my husband recently acquired citizenship and has a citizenship certificate and we were planning to have him as person applying for minor's citizenship.

1. Can you please let us know if he can do so?

2. Form has a section that asks for citizenship certificate number. Does he need to send copy of his citizenship certificate, canadian passport, etc. too as supporting document ? Document checklist doesn't state anything like that.

P.S. My daughter is a US citizen and as we were figuring out legal aspect of dual citizenship, we went ahead and filed our application and didn't file family application with her as minor. But would like to do so now.

Thanks !
You may find this thread useful: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/citizenship-application-for-children.606330/page-5

1. Yes. It is reasonably straightforward - follow the instructions. Perhaps will take 4-8 months. Do note one thing, that some applicants (incl my family) had issue with application being returned for not having enough identification docs of the child - so I'm going to recommend having / providing one more piece of identification of the child. (Wasn't that big a deal but did take extra time).
2. Don't recall. Check the instructions, but would suggest including copy of citizenship certificate and indicate his UCI#.

Note that as they will require you to send the child's PR card later in the process, there will be perhaps 2-4 weeks where the kid will be without PR card. In your case, not a big deal as child can travel in and out of Canada on a valid US passport (more complicated for those who do not have US passports). Not hard to apply for the child's Canadian passport after receiving the citizenship certificate.

Reactions: SayMyName

SayMyName

Feb 18, 2023
Hi All, we are filling application for my daughter's citizenship now.

My husband is canadian citizen by naturalization and is going to be applying. Checklist doesn't show if any document is required to establish his citizenship status? Do we need to send citizenship certificate or passport copy to establish the status as Canadian citizen?