+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying CEC- whether to take help of a law firm??

tunaibasu

Sep 10, 2013
Hello Senior Members....I am a newcomer to this forum. I have been working in Canada on WP for last 15 months as an ICT employee. I am planning to apply for PR under CEC. I have the following queries. Would be really great if you guys can guide me

1. How important is it to take help of a law firm while filing a CEC application. Can I do it on my own? What are the advantages or disadvantges of both the modes?
2. Do the pay stubs and offer letter suffice as proof of employment or do I have to submit a formal experience certificate?

Your resonse and help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Subhajit

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
tunaibasu said:
Hello Senior Members....I am a newcomer to this forum. I have been working in Canada on WP for last 15 months as an ICT employee. I am planning to apply for PR under CEC. I have the following queries. Would be really great if you guys can guide me

1. How important is it to take help of a law firm while filing a CEC application. Can I do it on my own? What are the advantages or disadvantges of both the modes?

It's up to you and a question about money. You can do it on your own, it's pretty straight forward if you follow CIC guidelines and handbooks, or hire a lawyer. Keep in mind that even if you hire a lawyer, it will be your task to gather documents and it won't speed up
or give you any advantages in the application process.

2. Do the pay stubs and offer letter suffice as proof of employment or do I have to submit a formal experience certificate?

You will need a reference letter from your employer stating the duration of the employment and positions held during
that time.
Check the CEC document checklist for more details and other required documents
>> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5610E.pdf

Your resonse and help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Subhajit

Check comments in red above.

And here's the link to all the forms you will need for your CEC application:

>> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/cec.asp

tunaibasu

Sep 10, 2013
Thanks iam_toby. I see you have applied recently. Did you take help of a law firm or prepared on your own. Also I have another query regarding reference letter for experience. As I am working in Canada as an Intra Company Transfer employee(i.e. I am basically a permanent employee of India but working as a supplemental employee here), my Canadian employer might not provide me an expereince letter. Would a letter from my Indian employer suffice? Please let me know.

iam_toby

VIP Member
Feb 4, 2013
tunaibasu said:
Thanks iam_toby. I see you have applied recently. Did you take help of a law firm or prepared on your own. Also I have another query regarding reference letter for experience. As I am working in Canada as an Intra Company Transfer employee(i.e. I am basically a permanent employee of India but working as a supplemental employee here), my Canadian employer might not provide me an expereince letter. Would a letter from my Indian employer suffice? Please let me know.
I applied on my own and had friends + family check forms for mistakes. No big deal if you follow the instruction
guide. And this forum is also a helpful source of information.
You will need a letter from some sort of supervisor or HR person IN Canada.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
tunaibasu said:
Hi Tunai.

Your second question makes it a little more interesting. And i'd suggest that you start a new thread to ask this question. I guess its a critical issue as your employer is based in India. We've seen some applicants discussing this issue earlier as well. So please post this question on a new thread so that you can get attention of other applicants who have been in your situation. Put a subject title - perhaps something like - IntraCompanyTransfer - Employer in India

Regarding filing the application on own or through lawyer. I also prepared all my application, all relevant documents and then finally booked 1hr appointment from a lawyer (i repeat an immigration lawyer, not consultant) and the lawyer checked everything, told me to add few more relevant docs and gave the green light.

You are not spending a whole lot, at the same time the lawyer fee for hour, you spent, will make sure that your time and application fee wont be wasted.

All the best.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Tunai. Just found 2 similar threads that are discussing about the same issue as yours:

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/ref-letter-from-employer-from-india-hr-instead-of-canada-hr-t162373.0.html

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/cec-experience-letter-t164296.0.html

that's why its so important to give an accurate title. otherwise, you wont get timely information.