+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply OCI Card for my kid born in US, Birth Certificate need to be attested

lavakumars

Oct 30, 2022
My kid born in US, i am trying apply India OCA card here in Ontario. But it got rejected due to
US birth certificated need to be attested by 3 places
1. US Embassy / Consulate
2. Ontario birth register office
3. Indian Mission/Consulate,

any one tried this? looks it is very complicated process. Need some suggestion how to get US birth certificate attested in all 3 places.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
My kid born in US, i am trying apply India OCA card here in Ontario. But it got rejected due to

any one tried this? looks it is very complicated process. Need some suggestion how to get US birth certificate attested in all 3 places.
Get an apostille copy from the state where you kid was born. Its online and very easy. They charge around $50 and send it to you by mail. Once you receive it, you can use it for OCI application. I did the same for my kid and we received oci.

lavakumars

Oct 30, 2022
Thank you. could you please share the details.
1. what is the online website to get the apostille copy from California ?
2. Can i pay the fee in online, as i am in Canada now. i may need to go back and ask for USB $50 check ?
3. do i need to send original birth certificate document ?

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
I had a certified copy of my kid’s birth certificate. You can order it through vitalchek website. Then you need to send it to Sacramento vital stat office for apostille. Then you can use that for OCI. Apostille is nothing but a verified copy of certified copy of birth certificate. Dont send original birth certificate.
I already got few certified copies of my kid’s birthcertificate as we were moving to different country and I didn’t want to end up ever losing original birthcertificate and stuck without it.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
Your other option is to get the copy of BC notarized, send it to service ontario at Jarvis street in Toronto. They will certify that the notary’s signatures are accurate and true. Then you send it to Indian consulate who will certify it and approve it to be used in OCI application. Then you will receive it back and and submit it to BLS along with OCI application. I know its frustrating run around but it is what it is. So better to have some certified copies already from the state of birth for future use as well.

lavakumars

Oct 30, 2022
The following website is to request apostille in Sacramento.
https://www.sos.ca.gov/notary/request-apostille

From the website
"A document signed by a California public official or an original notarized and/or certified document. A photocopy is not acceptable."

So i need to send my original birth certificate. they might not accept the photocopy. But i just worried if might loses original certificate.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
No, you don’t send original. Go to vitakchek website and order a certified copy of birth certificate. You can order as many copies as you want. You send that certified copy to Sacramento for apostille not the original.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
So i need to send my original birth certificate. they might not accept the photocopy. But i just worried if might loses original certificate.
I do not know the approach in the specific state but in many (most) jurisdictions that have civil registers, you order and receive an extract from the register which is considered an original (usually fancy coloured paper etc). It may be marked duplicate or it may just read 'extract' or similar. But for all intents and purposes (uses), it is equivalent to an original. They may even call it a certified copy - it's an extract certified by the original issuer (not certified by some third party). As noted above, order a couple or three while you're at it.

(Or if you prefer for conceptual reasons, there's no longer really an 'original' because the original is an entry in the register.)

Yes, I have done this by ordering 'birth certificates' from a US state. But I can't speak for all of them.

CanadaCitizeb

Mar 28, 2023
I had a certified copy of my kid’s birth certificate. You can order it through vitalchek website. Then you need to send it to Sacramento vital stat office for apostille. Then you can use that for OCI. Apostille is nothing but a verified copy of certified copy of birth certificate. Dont send original birth certificate.
I already got few certified copies of my kid’s birthcertificate as we were moving to different country and I didn’t want to end up ever losing original birthcertificate and stuck without it.

No, you don’t send original. Go to vitakchek website and order a certified copy of birth certificate. You can order as many copies as you want. You send that certified copy to Sacramento for apostille not the original.

Hi,

Thanks for the information. Do I need to have the certified copy of birth certificate notarised by Notary Public in Canada before sending it to Sacramento for Apostilled.

fang21

Apr 17, 2019

The following website is to request apostille in Sacramento.
https://www.sos.ca.gov/notary/request-apostille

From the website
"A document signed by a California public official or an original notarized and/or certified document. A photocopy is not acceptable."

Hi,

I know this is an old thread, am in a similar situation. I have a couple of questions if you don’t mind answering.

Did the Sacramento office mail you back the apostilled certificates to Canada ?

Do they just stamp the certified copy you send in the mail ? I am asking this because if we want multiple apostilled birth certificates , do we send multiple certified copies of the birth certificates.

DougTennant

Apr 15, 2023
Given that the thread is a year old, it's possible that you've already made progress or resolved your issue. However, for anyone else in a similar situation, here's what you can do to get your US birth certificate attested in all three places:US Embassy / Consulate: Contact the nearest US Embassy or Consulate in Ontario. Ontario Birth Register Office: Visit the Ontario birth register office and inquire about the attestation process. Remember, it's essential to have all your documents in order and follow each authority's guidelines carefully. Additionally, consider seeking assistance from a professional agency like LACUK, to help streamline the process. They may offer valuable guidance and support to ensure everything goes smoothly.

lingarajemma

Feb 4, 2024
Canada is not a part of hague nation so the process is of embassy attestation for you
first document needs to be apostille by the state secretary ( SOS )
after that the document should be submitted to federal govt
later it should be attested by the Canadian embassy in US.
here you will get complete information on apostille for US birth certificate