+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for work permit of spouse with IEC from within Canada

nngafook

Jun 28, 2016
Hey guys.

My situation:
My spouse has an IEC and will be working for the next two years in a skill category B job.
I am in Canada with her on a visitor visa.
From my research, it appears that I am eligible for an open work permit based on that information, but when I fill out the questionnaire in mycic, it says that I'm not eligible for any work permits.
And even though they say that you cannot apply for a work permit from within Canada, it also says that you can if your spouse is a temporary worker, and also:

If you are already in Canada as a visitor, you may not apply within Canada. You must apply for a work permit at a Canadian visa office:
responsible for the country you are a citizen of
So my question is, can I apply for this work permit while in Canada, maybe as a paper application or in person or something? Or do I need to maybe make the application as if I'm at home, and if I get approved, go back home to collect the work permit then come back up to Canada?

Thanks!

ernib

Aug 20, 2020
I am clearly going to wait until there is a vaccine before making any plans. Just wanted to know my options once a vaccine is found, should I have specified? Too late now. thanks for your help.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am clearly going to wait until there is a vaccine before making any plans. Just wanted to know my options once a vaccine is found, should I have specified? Too late now. thanks for your help.
There are so many hypotheticals. Depends on when there will be an effective vaccine, how long it will take to produce and distribute to the world, how many people agree to actually take the vaccine, etc. We could be talking many years from now.