+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for visitor visa online...

fangcai

Jul 22, 2018
Hi there,

My wife's Canadian visitor visa has been expired at the same time with her passport, and she has got her new passport and will submit her new visitor visa application online. While working on the new visa application, we are confused with some of the questions as the followings:

How are you related to your family member?
We don't know what's the family member refer to here? We're going to visit my daughter (step-daughter of my wife) in Canada during Xmas, should she select "Legally married spouse" here?

What is the main purpose of your visit?
We are going to visit my daughter and some of our friends as well as tourism,

Are you accompanying a family member that has status in Canada or has recently been approved to come to Canada?

We are not sure if we should "Yes" or "No"? The note says "This means you will be staying with a family member who is already in Canada or has applied to come to Canada and has been accepted as a visitor, worker or student" .
1. My wife will be staying with me in Canada, but I'm not already in Canada and we will leave for Canada together.
2. We will visit my daughter there, but we may just stay at my daughter's place for a couple of days.

Please kindly help us with the questions. Your earliest response will be highly appreciated.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You selected family visit as the reason for travel.

The person in Canada you are visiting is your daughter.

All of these questions should be answered with your daughter as the person in Canada you are visiting.

If step daughter is not available, you may be able to select "daughter" as the relationship and explain in a letter of explanation.

fangcai

Jul 22, 2018
You selected family visit as the reason for travel.

The person in Canada you are visiting is your daughter.

All of these questions should be answered with your daughter as the person in Canada you are visiting.

If step daughter is not available, you may be able to select "daughter" as the relationship and explain in a letter of explanation.
Thank you so much! As we are going to spend most of the two weeks travel around and only stay with my daughter for couple of days. Do you think it will be simple and easier just to select "Tourism" instead of "To visit family and/or friends"?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Since you have to identify family in Canada, and if you are visiting family, I would be hard pressed to choose.

If you wish to be safe, say that it is a family visit and then in your purpose of travel document share your tourism itinerary.

Be aware that as the spouse of a Canadian, your wife will need to again prove ties and establishment to her home country. A previous visa approval will help if it was issued after you were married. Otherwise the visa officer will be concerned she will overstay in Canada as a way to be sponsored for PR.

fangcai

Jul 22, 2018
Since you have to identify family in Canada, and if you are visiting family, I would be hard pressed to choose.

If you wish to be safe, say that it is a family visit and then in your purpose of travel document share your tourism itinerary.

Be aware that as the spouse of a Canadian, your wife will need to again prove ties and establishment to her home country. A previous visa approval will help if it was issued after you were married. Otherwise the visa officer will be concerned she will overstay in Canada as a way to be sponsored for PR.
Very good points! Thanks!

My wife got her visitor visa after we were married in 2013 as well as her US visa, we have been travelling to North America every year especially every Xmas since then. We do meet my daughter on each trip, but since she is too busy at work and her family, we only have a couple of dinners while we are there. Most of the time we are travel around in Canada.