+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for TRV extension outside of Canada

Geekko

Apr 19, 2018
Dear Members,

I am an international student currently studying in Canada. I have applied for my study permit extension nearly two months back and waiting for the results. After that I need to apply for TRV extension as well.

But I have an important event in my home and want to attend. I don't think I have time to apply and wait for TRV extension.

I would like to know the possibility of leaving Canada with the new study permit and the expired TRV and apply for TRV extension from my home country using the new study permit before enter to Canada again.

Thanks in advance.

Red Igloo

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
Yes you can apply from your home country, no problem, however it will not be an extension but a new one. You will need to receive it before travelling back. I hope that helped!

Red Igloo

Star Member
Jun 25, 2014
If you have a valid permit in your hands I do not think it is a big risk, you just need the TRV to go back to Canada with a permit you already have.

calgary lady

Apr 20, 2018
Hi i am new here so i don't know if im on the right thread.
My question is if you can travel in US with an expired TRV and under implied status as a visitor, can a person still re enter canada with an expired visa and implied status? ( extension of stay expired last april but able to apply again for another extension last march waiting for decision still)

Thank you in advance! we are planning to travel US next month

Geekko

Apr 19, 2018
@calgary lady , As I have found by researching for my problem, if someone have a valid study permit or work permit they can cross the USA , Canada border with a expired TRV.

Please search for more.

calgary lady

Apr 20, 2018
@Geekko Thanks for replying!

Is this applicable for visitors/ tourist? the extension for stay is expired but was able to reapply for another extension but no decision made yet. can she re enter canada even she doesn't have her new extension yet?