+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for surrender certificate while in India.

varunlibra3

Jul 31, 2018
I got my Canadian passport this month. I have to travel to India in December end. I obviously don't have time to surrender Indian citizenship and OCI card. So, I will apply for an entry visa.
While I stay in India on an entry visa, can I go to any passport office and apply for surrender certificate? Will that certificate be valid when I apply for OCI in Toronto?
Main reason for doing so is saving some money. There is a considerable difference in fee for surrender certificate.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I got my Canadian passport this month. I have to travel to India in December end. I obviously don't have time to surrender Indian citizenship and OCI card. So, I will apply for an entry visa.
While I stay in India on an entry visa, can I go to any passport office and apply for surrender certificate? Will that certificate be valid when I apply for OCI in Toronto?
Main reason for doing so is saving some money. There is a considerable difference in fee for surrender certificate.
How much money will you save LoL...
Before posting you should search for posts.
There are posts from @nivaan5 and @Hem.georgian recently

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I agree for a family for 4 it is bit expensive here. But with Nivaan's experience there is lot of information but like he mentioned his engagement was with the Bangalore office, it may differ slightly from different center.
But you can apply for SC and Entry Visa from BLS Canada as well and it will be processed before you travel.
You do not need to wait for SC/Cancelled Indian Passport to travel to India. What you need is the Entry Visa which will be pasted on your Canadian passport like a standard visa document.
SC takes about 4 weeks from submission if you are in Toronto
6-7 days for Entry Visa

varunlibra3

Jul 31, 2018
I agree for a family for 4 it is bit expensive here. But with Nivaan's experience there is lot of information but like he mentioned his engagement was with the Bangalore office, it may differ slightly from different center.
But you can apply for SC and Entry Visa from BLS Canada as well and it will be processed before you travel.
You do not need to wait for SC/Cancelled Indian Passport to travel to India. What you need is the Entry Visa which will be pasted on your Canadian passport like a standard visa document.
SC takes about 4 weeks from submission if you are in Toronto
6-7 days for Entry Visa
Thanks for the reply. So, the SC I will get from Indian RPO will be considered valid for applying OCI here in Toronto?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks for the reply. So, the SC I will get from Indian RPO will be considered valid for applying OCI here in Toronto?
It should be.. They cannot say no to you for that...
But one thing I am not sure, plz ask Nivaan when you msg him, if he also received his cancelled Indian passport back or was it just the SC that he received.

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
I was just wondering. Don’t you need the SC to apply for entry visa? ( assuming you want to apply at BLS Canada) That was how it was when visa services resumed. I’m not up to date with the recent changes if any.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
I was just wondering. Don’t you need the SC to apply for entry visa? ( assuming you want to apply at BLS Canada) That was how it was when visa services resumed. I’m not up to date with the recent changes if any.
eVisa (till it was available) you did not require SC
For Entry Visa you do require SC or at least the proof that you have applied for SC (payment receipt etc)

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
In that case the OP will have to surrender passport and obtain SC in Canada itself before applying for Entry visa.

varunlibra3

Jul 31, 2018
eVisa (till it was available) you did not require SC
For Entry Visa you do require SC or at least the proof that you have applied for SC (payment receipt etc)
You guys are right. For entry visa, I need a SC or at least a receipt that I applied for it. I already have appointments at BLS for SC and entry visa.
But I just saw today that I can apply for e-visa now which makes it easier for me, no need to visit BLS :)

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
You guys are right. For entry visa, I need a SC or at least a receipt that I applied for it. I already have appointments at BLS for SC and entry visa.
But I just saw today that I can apply for e-visa now which makes it easier for me, no need to visit BLS :)
Yeah I just learnt that too which is great news indeed...

gir_8

Nov 23, 2014
Hi everyone.

We just got our citizenship and Canadian Passports in November/ December. I was wondering if we can get E-Visa and surrender Indian Passports in India itself? We have travel plans shortly around January 2024-end. I saw some posts in this thread, but just want to confirm.

(1) Do they ask or need Surrender Certificate while getting E-Visa OR at the port of entry in India?
(2) Having citizenship already, is it okay to travel with Indian PP (but of course on Canadian PP and E-Visa) without surrendering them in Canada ?

Appreciate if someone has already gone through this.

Thanks!