+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for Study Permit while on Visitor Visa

copypaper

Star Member
Feb 9, 2015
Hi guys,

Has anyone successfully applied for a study permit within Canada as a "student who has completed a short-term course or program of study that is a pre-requisite for acceptance at a designated learning institution"? I read that this is possible on CIC's website. But, I cannot find any information on how to apply, or what kind of pre-requisite course you would take (maybe English or Math?).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=483&t=15

I came to Canada as a visitor. Now, I want to study. Can I?
For a new study permit, you can apply:

from your home country or another country where you are lawfully admitted, or
in person or by mail at the Visa Application Centre in Los Angeles.

Also, you may be able to apply for a study permit from within Canada to attend a designated learning institution if you are a:

minor child studying at the primary or secondary level;
visiting or exchange student; or
student who has completed a short-term course or program of study that is a pre-requisite for acceptance at a designated learning institution.
I have searched this forum and didn't find any examples where people did this. I think this is a new rule from June 1st, 2014. I also called CIC and the agent told me about visiting and exchange students, but she didn't know about the "short-term course or program of study that is a pre-requisite" either.

Please let me know. Thanks :)

tzipporah

May 29, 2015
Hello,

I am in the same situation as you. I just applied yesterday using the "Pre-quisite course" lets see how is goes

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
copypaper said:
Hi guys,

Has anyone successfully applied for a study permit within Canada as a "student who has completed a short-term course or program of study that is a pre-requisite for acceptance at a designated learning institution"? I read that this is possible on CIC's website. But, I cannot find any information on how to apply, or what kind of pre-requisite course you would take (maybe English or Math?).
Typically this means you must be enrolled in a course that the school indicates is a pre-requisite to the course you want to take. So an English course won't count and likely neither will the math course.

tzipporah

May 29, 2015
scylla said:
Typically this means you must be enrolled in a course that the school indicates is a pre-requisite to the course you want to take. So an English course won't count and likely neither will the math course.

How does one prove that they did a pre-requisite course?

Pures Toro

Star Member
May 8, 2015
Dear Friend,

Firstly it is possible to get a Study permit even if you are on a visitors Visa.
Secondly the CIC's website is confusing and at times contradicting.

Pre Requisite courses are not required.

Apply to any college you want to for a program of your liking. (2 year programs are advised)

arrange $10000 GIC in scotia, pay your 2 sem tuition fees to the college and finally apply.

Understand this, By doing all of the above you have met all the requirements of for international students to apply for a study permit.

copypaper

Star Member
Feb 9, 2015
scylla said:
I called the call centre again on Thursday and asked about 'pre requisite courses'. The example the agent gave was an ESL course. I never know whether to believe them or not ???

MANRO

Sep 2, 2015
Hello there
Can be a problem if a visitor apply a student visa in Canada but leaving the country in 20 days?

thanks in advance

trxter41

Star Member
Oct 4, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-09-2014
AOR Received.
25-02-2015
IELTS Request
N/A
Med's Request
04-03-2015
Med's Done....
12-03-2015
Passport Req..
06-07-2015
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2015
LANDED..........
30-07-2015
MANRO said:
Hello there
Can be a problem if a visitor apply a student visa in Canada but leaving the country in 20 days?

thanks in advance
if you submit your application in time i think it would still be processed

rockstar1

Aug 23, 2015
Pures Toro said:
Dear Friend,

Firstly it is possible to get a Study permit even if you are on a visitors Visa.
Secondly the CIC's website is confusing and at times contradicting.

Pre Requisite courses are not required.

Apply to any college you want to for a program of your liking. (2 year programs are advised)

arrange $10000 GIC in scotia, pay your 2 sem tuition fees to the college and finally apply.

Understand this, By doing all of the above you have met all the requirements of for international students to apply for a study permit.

Are you really sure if this can be done?? I have a visitors visa lets say I get an admission into a college for a two year pg course and enter canada in visitors visa can It be transferred to student visa??

Oleksandr S

Jun 5, 2019
It's very interesting question about prerequisite course, because it would be helpful for people who live in countries like Ukraine, where it's practically impossible to get study permit when you are 40 years old, and nobody has not answered on this question. If somebody has experience in this area, please type it. If I find something, I will answer for others