+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for PRTD or travel with Expired PR Card via Car from US.

Dreamszalone

Star Member
Oct 5, 2013
Hi All,

My case is a little complicated. I am PR since 2009 and I did renew it once in 2015. During that renewal, I used the option of Employed for Canadian employer but working overseas (US) which I was and I had all my pay stubs\T4\Notice of assessments during this renewal I was asked to show the RO via CIC which I did and then later they asked me to apply for PRTD as I was not in the country which I did and I got the approval as well. I worked for that Employer until Feb 2017 and after that, I changed my employer currently I am still employed in Canada and still paying Taxes in Canada but I mostly now reside in the US working remotely taking care of my ailing mother she is close to 70 with 40 years of diabetic and she is not doing well at all so I am with her, and every time I Travel to Canada I bring her with me (She is having US Green Card) Anyway I also have physical days of approx 350-375 in Canada and rest is from my previous Canadian employer who I use to work for from the US those days are approx 450.
The current situation is my PR card expired 2 days ago (1st august) I was supposed to travel to Canada last week itself before the expiry but my mother fell down in the bathroom and I had to take her to ER and I just couldn't travel or I would say I couldn't leave her alone in that state. Anyway I spoke to a lawyer and he said its better not to apply PRTD and just travel to Canada with Expired PR Card you will be grilled on the border and he said he can help me with the paperwork like mainly H&C and I can show it to CBSA officer on the port and get entry. I am kind of double-minded with that option. So what you guys suggest should I go ahead and cross the border with Expired PR Card or apply for PRTD. And the only thing I am worried about is if for some reason my PRTD is denied can I still enter into Canada and apply for the appeal? I know I have 60 days to appeal but not sure if I can travel back to Canada with denied PRTD and expired PR card. I at times feel I should go ahead and apply for the PRTD and wait for the response but the issue is I am worried if they start requesting more information about my previous employment as I no longer work for them it would be very difficult to provide them with the details, but I do have the letter of backdated from them stating I was working from the US for a Canadian employer, that is a big employer which is traded on NASDAQ. And on another hand, I think at times they already know I was working in US for Canadian employer as one time CBSA asked me at the border too that you still working in the US for Canadian employer I said yes, and based on that I think my PRTD should sail through as CIC already knows much of my US-Canada history.
Please advise what is the best option I am very tensed and stressed out don't want to lose my PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

My case is a little complicated. I am PR since 2009 and I did renew it once in 2015. During that renewal, I used the option of Employed for Canadian employer but working overseas (US) which I was and I had all my pay stubs\T4\Notice of assessments during this renewal I was asked to show the RO via CIC which I did and then later they asked me to apply for PRTD as I was not in the country which I did and I got the approval as well. I worked for that Employer until Feb 2017 and after that, I changed my employer currently I am still employed in Canada and still paying Taxes in Canada but I mostly now reside in the US working remotely taking care of my ailing mother she is close to 70 with 40 years of diabetic and she is not doing well at all so I am with her, and every time I Travel to Canada I bring her with me (She is having US Green Card) Anyway I also have physical days of approx 350-375 in Canada and rest is from my previous Canadian employer who I use to work for from the US those days are approx 450.
The current situation is my PR card expired 2 days ago (1st august) I was supposed to travel to Canada last week itself before the expiry but my mother fell down in the bathroom and I had to take her to ER and I just couldn't travel or I would say I couldn't leave her alone in that state. Anyway I spoke to a lawyer and he said its better not to apply PRTD and just travel to Canada with Expired PR Card you will be grilled on the border and he said he can help me with the paperwork like mainly H&C and I can show it to CBSA officer on the port and get entry. I am kind of double-minded with that option. So what you guys suggest should I go ahead and cross the border with Expired PR Card or apply for PRTD. And the only thing I am worried about is if for some reason my PRTD is denied can I still enter into Canada and apply for the appeal? I know I have 60 days to appeal but not sure if I can travel back to Canada with denied PRTD and expired PR card. I at times feel I should go ahead and apply for the PRTD and wait for the response but the issue is I am worried if they start requesting more information about my previous employment as I no longer work for them it would be very difficult to provide them with the details, but I do have the letter of backdated from them stating I was working from the US for a Canadian employer, that is a big employer which is traded on NASDAQ. And on another hand, I think at times they already know I was working in US for Canadian employer as one time CBSA asked me at the border too that you still working in the US for Canadian employer I said yes, and based on that I think my PRTD should sail through as CIC already knows much of my US-Canada history.
Please advise what is the best option I am very tensed and stressed out don't want to lose my PR.
Time abroad workinf for a Canadian employer only counts if you have been working for the Canadian employer in Canada and have been transferred for a short period of time abroad. The fact that you didn't return with to Canada after your project with your Canadian employer is going to be an issue. I don't believe any of the time working for the 2nd employer will count.

Dreamszalone

Star Member
Oct 5, 2013
I do know that days only count if you got transferred I am asking about my previous employment, not the current one. And also looking for info if I can travel back on Expired PR Card.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I do know that days only count if you got transferred I am asking about my previous employment, not the current one. And also looking for info if I can travel back on Expired PR Card.
You can certainly enter whether you will be reported is a different situation. Your mother is unlilekly to be able to remain with you in Canada longterm especially since she was living with you in the US. I would make sure you show that your mother has medical insurance but if she is too frail she could be denied entry

Dreamszalone

Star Member
Oct 5, 2013
She won't be travelling with me now as she is not keeping well. It would after a few weeks only via Air. So what you are saying is I can enter on expired PR Card. But getting reported is a different issue. If for some reason I get reported can I appeal and apply for the temporary PR Card or I cannot apply for a temporary PR Card?

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

In terms of your work for your former employer, did you at any point get transferred back to a permanent role in Canada and physically work in Canada after the period of time you worked for them in the U.S.?

Dreamszalone

Star Member
Oct 5, 2013
In terms of your work for your former employer, did you at any point get transferred back to a permanent role in Canada and physically work in Canada after the period of time you worked for them in the U.S.?
Hi Scylla thanks and appreciate your response and since your prime\experienced member your advice is much appreciated.
Because of the $ exchange rate in late 2016 and early 2017 the company was going through cost-cutting and losses so I got laid off during that. I came to Canada only to return my laptop, and while I was in Canada I got another job offer which I accepted.
So my question is
1) Can I enter Canada with an expired PR Card via the US-Canada border in my private car?
2) If I apply for PRTD and get denial obviously I will appeal right away, can I apply for PRTD as per the below link I can as my last stay was on Jan 30 2020.
and once I am in Canada if PRTD is granted can I apply and get a temporary PR card which usually is valid until 1 year.

https://irb-cisr.gc.ca/en/forms/Pages/notice-of-appeal-residency.aspx

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She won't be travelling with me now as she is not keeping well. It would after a few weeks only via Air. So what you are saying is I can enter on expired PR Card. But getting reported is a different issue. If for some reason I get reported can I appeal and apply for the temporary PR Card or I cannot apply for a temporary PR Card?

Thanks
Yes you can enter on an expired PR andif you get reported you can appeal. If your mother is not well unless she can prove she can pay for her medical expenses she can be refused entry when she lands in Canada.

Dreamszalone

Star Member
Oct 5, 2013
Yes you can enter on an expired PR andif you get reported you can appeal. If your mother is not well unless she can prove she can pay for her medical expenses she can be refused entry when she lands in Canada.
Thanks for the response, every time she comes with me I buy a traveler's insurance similar to Super visa insurance. Anyway, what you guys think about this news the language is not clear but looks like they are also considering people with an old expired PR card.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/07/holders-of-expired-immigration-visas-may-travel-to-canada-0715184.html#gs.cpxicr

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for the response, every time she comes with me I buy a traveler's insurance similar to Super visa insurance. Anyway, what you guys think about this news the language is not clear but looks like they are also considering people with an old expired PR card.

https://www.cicnews.com/2020/07/holders-of-expired-immigration-visas-may-travel-to-canada-0715184.html#gs.cpxicr
That isn’t a government source. Insurance policies, like supervisa insurance, don’t cover ongoing health issues. Yes you can enter at the US land border with an expired PR card but you will likely go to secondary and you may be reported.

Dreamszalone

Star Member
Oct 5, 2013
That isn’t a government source. Insurance policies, like supervisa insurance, don’t cover ongoing health issues. Yes you can enter at the US land border with an expired PR card but you will likely go to secondary and you may be reported.
I know they will take me to Secondary inspection. About getting reported I am not sure about that. So what's your thought apply for PRTD or Cross border with expired PR Card?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015

The article relates to new immigrants who’s COPR and/ or immigrant visas have expired due to Covid travel restriction, not existing PRs.

Dreamszalone

Star Member
Oct 5, 2013
I am planning to apply for PRTD got one question. If PRTD processing is taking forever and as I have to report to my job in mid-September and if PRTD does not come by then or whatever the response is while it's under processing can I cross the border with expired PR card and explain the situation to CBSA?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am planning to apply for PRTD got one question. If PRTD processing is taking forever and as I have to report to my job in mid-September and if PRTD does not come by then or whatever the response is while it's under processing can I cross the border with expired PR card and explain the situation to CBSA?
Your best bet is to try to enter via the border and not apply for a PRTD. You need to be able to remain in Canada for 2 years though. Yes you can enter at a land border while your PRTD is in process if you decide to apply for PRTD.