+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for PR on an a tourist visa (eTA)?

stella.mi

Oct 21, 2017
Hello fellow Canada friends,

Would appreciate any help I could get!

I am from Sweden, turning 30 this year, and I've been in Toronto since August 2017 on a Work and Holiday Visa (valid for 12 months so it expires in August), although I currently don't have a job because I am in a situation where no employer will hire me because my work visa is about to expire...

I live with my boyfriend here (since I came in August, it will soon be a year), and I am looking to apply for a PR through his sponsorship when it's been a year.

But, how will I stay here when my WH expires? Do I just get an eTA? Do I go to the border and say that I'm just going to travel around for a couple of months (with my boyfriend? Or do I not mention him at all?)?
Do I mention that I will apply for a PR, or don't say anything about it? Or can I extend my work visa in some way?

Also, is there any benefit for us to get married in our current situation?

Thanks in advance!!

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018

stella.mi

Oct 21, 2017
Hi, an eTA is not a visa. It is an electronic authorization that allows you to board a plane to Canada. Since you are already in Canada, you do not need an eTA. You are visa exempt, being from Sweden.

You will need to apply online to change your conditions to visitor. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/application-change-conditions-extend-stay-visitor.html
Thanks for your reply, I have looked at this, but I'm still quite confused. When I check my eligibility (http://onlineservices-servicesenligne.cic.gc.ca/eapp/eapp.do) to apply for an extension, under the questions:

"What would you like to do in Canada?" - Do I say "visit" "move there" or "work"? Don't have a job currently, I just need to be here legally so I can apply for a PR, so I don't know which option is the right one.

"How long are you planning to stay?" - Do I put in "permanently" or "temporary"? If I put in "permanently" they might suggest Express Entry, which is not applicable as of now?

"Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen"? - My boyfriend is Canadian, but we are not yet legally common law for another two months, so do I choose "yes" or "no" here?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Thanks for your reply, I have looked at this, but I'm still quite confused. When I check my eligibility (http://onlineservices-servicesenligne.cic.gc.ca/eapp/eapp.do) to apply for an extension, under the questions:

"What would you like to do in Canada?" - Do I say "visit" "move there" or "work"? Don't have a job currently, I just need to be here legally so I can apply for a PR, so I don't know which option is the right one.

"How long are you planning to stay?" - Do I put in "permanently" or "temporary"? If I put in "permanently" they might suggest Express Entry, which is not applicable as of now?

"Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen"? - My boyfriend is Canadian, but we are not yet legally common law for another two months, so do I choose "yes" or "no" here?
Visit, temporary, no :)

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

stella.mi

Oct 21, 2017

Visit, temporary, no :)

It's that easy? Haha. The temporary option is less than six months, or more than six months. What do I choose there?

They also ask, "Have you lived in Canada as a permanent resident or landed immigrant?" Am I a landed immigrant...?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
It's that easy? Haha. The temporary option is less than six months, or more than six months. What do I choose there?

They also ask, "Have you lived in Canada as a permanent resident or landed immigrant?" Am I a landed immigrant...?
You can choose either, but probably more than six months would be more accurate.

You aren’t a landed immigrant.

stella.mi

Oct 21, 2017
You can choose either, but probably more than six months would be more accurate.

You aren’t a landed immigrant.
Thanks, this is definitely making me less confused and worried.

So say I get a visitor visa, when I pass the border control, am I going to be totally honest with the staff? Meaning, should I say that I am going to apply for a PR through sponsorship? Or will they think I might work illegally if I say this?

KBH

Champion Member
Sep 13, 2017
Toronto, ON
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
August 2nd, 2017
AOR Received.
September 22nd, 2017
File Transfer...
October 7th, 2017
Passport Req..
December 29th, 2017
VISA ISSUED...
January 23rd, 2018
LANDED..........
Feb 1st, 2018
Thanks, this is definitely making me less confused and worried.

So say I get a visitor visa, when I pass the border control, am I going to be totally honest with the staff? Meaning, should I say that I am going to apply for a PR through sponsorship? Or will they think I might work illegally if I say this?
You aren’t getting a visitor visa. As i mentioned before, you are visa exempt. You are applying to extend your stay, which will result in you being issued a document called a visitor record that states how long you are allowed to continue to stay in Canada. The border is not involved at all - you apply this way if you are already in Canada, and not planning to leave any time soon.

stella.mi

Oct 21, 2017
I still need to explain in detail why I want to stay longer. - Should I be completely honest here?

I also need to provid ”Details about your plans to leave Canada, particularly the date and time of departure and the means of transportation.” - I don’t intend to leave, so what is the option here?