+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for PGWP with expired Study Permit

stavic07

Jul 31, 2017
Asking for a friend since he does not have an account.

- Graduated on Oct 15th, 2021.

- Study Permit expired on Oct 31st, 2021.

- PGWP submission Nov 18th, 2021. (He was innocently dealing with a bunch of covid problems while waiting for school to provide graduation letter as well).

Fast forward until today, he received a rejection letter from CIC stating that his SP expired prior to he submitting the PGWP application and he needs to leave the country immediately.

I'm a bit confuse about the rejection case. I understand that he should have followed this "https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=508&top=15" to restore his study permit status (for me sounds more like cash grab really given you are no longer a student). However, given he did not do it then, can he do it now ?

- 2ndly, according to CIC :" You have 180 days after your school issues your final marks to apply for a post-graduation work permit. To be eligible for a PGWP, your study permit must have been valid at some point during these 180 days.". So he was still within the 180 days period, why would he need to restore his study permit ?

Some immigration website on the internet said now it has to go to federal court and my friend cannot fight the case by his own anymore. Is it true ? That sounds a bit hash if you ask me given if this was just mistake in submitting paperwork rather than actual eligibility.