+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for Federal Skilled Worker Program after McGill graduation

Jan 16, 2020
Hello,

I would really appreciate anyone’s input regarding my story, how common something like this is and what are my chances of getting approved/rejected. I know I will have to go through Express Entry, but I am unsure whether I should apply through the Provincial Nominee Program for Ontario, or directly through the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

- 27 yo, single male, 1 family member (uncle) in Quebec, no job offer in Ontario.
- Fully fluent in both English and French
- CRS Score (CIC website test): 540
- 2011-2015: Undergrad at Top 3 US School
- 2015-2017: High profile/compensation Finance/AI job at a bank in NYC
- 2017-2019: Master’s in AI/Analytics at McGill University
- October 2019: Graduation from McGill
- December 2019 : Received 1 year long PGWP, and applied for CSQ

Since graduation, I have been living in Montreal and I have been applying and looking for jobs in my specialty (financial sector) in Montreal and Toronto. My original intent was to stay in Quebec because I do have ties here (uncle, I speak french), so I applied for CSQ to get the process started two weeks ago and to 'be safe' just in case of another change in the PEQ laws.

However, I am realizing now after many weeks of job hunting out of Montreal, I have decided to continue my career in Toronto and move to Ontario for the following reasons:

1) Toronto has 5x more job offerings in the financial sector than Montreal. It is very clear from my CV/curriculum that my ‘skill’ is finance/AI, and I have much better prospects in Toronto than Montreal.
2) After the recent change of laws regarding the CSQ/PEQ process on November 1st, I have decided I do not want to reside in Quebec, a province that changes laws back and forth randomly and puts lives of hardworking and highly skilled people in jeopardy. Settling in Ontario has much higher chances for a stable career.
3) I am able to leverage a much larger McGill alumni network in Toronto than Montreal (which is largely dominated by the local French-speaking schools).

I currently do not have a job offer, but am applying for jobs in Toronto and will hopefully get interviews in the coming weeks. I have not applied for PR yet as I am evaluating the 'risk' of getting rejected first. Please let me know what would be the main concerns with my application and what I should be careful with when/if applying.

Many many thanks!!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I would really appreciate anyone’s input regarding my story, how common something like this is and what are my chances of getting approved/rejected. I know I will have to go through Express Entry, but I am unsure whether I should apply through the Provincial Nominee Program for Ontario, or directly through the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

- 27 yo, single male, 1 family member (uncle) in Quebec, no job offer in Ontario.
- Fully fluent in both English and French
- 2011-2015: Undergrad at Top 3 US School
- 2015-2017: High profile/compensation Finance/AI job on Wall Street in NYC
- 2017-2019: Master’s in AI/Analytics at McGill University
- October 2019: Graduation from McGill
- January 2020: Application for CSQ

Since graduation, I have been residing in Montreal and I have been applying and looking for jobs in my specialty (financial sector) in Montreal, and Toronto. My original intent was to reside in Quebec, so I applied for CSQ to get the process started two weeks ago and to 'be safe' just in case of another change in laws.

However, I am realizing now after many weeks of job hunting out of Montreal, I have decided to reside/move to Ontario for the following reasons:

1) Toronto has 5x more job offerings in the financial sector than Montreal. It is very clear from my CV/curriculum that my ‘skill’ is finance/AI, and I have much better prospects in Toronto than Montreal.
2) After the recent change of laws regarding the CSQ/PEQ process on November 1st, I have decided I do not want to reside in Quebec, a province that changes laws back and forth randomly and puts lives of hardworking and highly skilled people in jeopardy. Settling in Ontario has much higher chances for a stable career.
3) I am able to leverage a much larger McGill alumni network in Toronto than Montreal (which is largely dominated by the local French-speaking schools).

Please let me know what would be the concerns with my application and what I should be careful with when/if applying!

Many many thanks!!
How many points do you have under Express Entry?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have just updated the original post. I got a score of 644 using https://www.ackahlaw.com/resources/check-your-express-entry-score
Use the official one below instead. The non official ones sometimes throw out bad results. Make sure you aren't claiming points for having a job offer - you don't have one and it's pretty much a safe bet you won't get one (to get the job offer points, your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA - just getting a job offer isn't enough). Also make sure you aren't claiming points for having a provincial nomination or points for family in Canada (only siblings count, not uncles).

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Have you taken the language tests yet? If not, you'll want to get on that.

Jan 16, 2020
Use the official one below instead. The non official ones sometimes throw out bad results. Make sure you aren't claiming points for having a job offer - you don't have one and it's pretty much a safe bet you won't get one (to get the job offer points, your employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA - just getting a job offer isn't enough). Also make sure you aren't claiming points for having a provincial nomination or points for family in Canada (only siblings count, not uncles).

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Have you taken the language tests yet? If not, you'll want to get on that.
Hello, thanks a lot for your long response. I got 540 using the official test. I made sure I didn't input anything wrong. Regarding language tests, I did not take them, but I gave myself the maximum range, as both french and english are my first languages (professional + 'lingo' reading, writing and speaking everyday etc etc), so I am confident I will be at least in that top range.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: