+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for Canadian Citizenship for my daughter

naumankhalid

Jul 8, 2012
Hi,

I am a Canadian Citizen, I applied for the Citizenship of my daughter age 3 years. She got acknowledgement letter on March 01, 2013.

My question when she will get Citizenship card and apply for Canadian Passport?

Please note that she got permanent residence card November last year.

Thanks in advance.

Nauman

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are in Canada, it's supposed to take 6 months to get a citizenship certificate, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp

It is not a card any more. It is a piece of paper.

isarog

Feb 23, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just a quick clarification-question..

Does it mean that a child may be applied for citizenship despite the fact that she just received her PR card November last year?

Thanks for the reply.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
isarog said:
Just a quick clarification-question..

Does it mean that a child may be applied for citizenship despite the fact that she just received her PR card November last year?

Thanks for the reply.
A child does not have to meet the 1095 days in Canada requirement for citizenship but they also can not apply for citizenship by themselves. The only one who can apply on behalf of a child is a parent who is either already a citizen or is applying for citizenship for themselves and qualifies to do so.

shutterbug

Mar 22, 2013
Leon, I just went through this procedure and from my understanding is that the child must be adopted by the Canadian Parent. I adopted my son last fall and sailed through the citizenship for my son within 30 days. After the adoption I had to do part one which is to prove that I am a Canadian Citizen and then in Part two they required we send his PR Card and pay the fees. Correct me if I am wrong but the child still has to wait the full time unless adopted by a Canadian parent. They then sent him his Certificate and we applied for Passport. He has now become a Canadian

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shutterbug said:
Leon, I just went through this procedure and from my understanding is that the child must be adopted by the Canadian Parent. I adopted my son last fall and sailed through the citizenship for my son within 30 days. After the adoption I had to do part one which is to prove that I am a Canadian Citizen and then in Part two they required we send his PR Card and pay the fees. Correct me if I am wrong but the child still has to wait the full time unless adopted by a Canadian parent. They then sent him his Certificate and we applied for Passport. He has now become a Canadian
No, children don't have to meet the time requirements, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp#time

However, the child can not apply by itself and the parent must be a citizen or applying for citizenship in order to apply for the child.

In the first case, the parent is already a citizen, it's not too common because usually, when a Canadian has a baby, they get citizenship automatically. The exceptions are if the parent did not yet have citizenship when the baby was born or did not include the child on their application for some reason or if the parent is unable to pass on citizenship because they were born outside Canada to a Canadian parent themselves and gained citizenship based on heritage which would make their baby 2nd generation born abroad.

In the second case, the parent applying for citizenship must meet the 1095 day requirement which means usually their children do too but it's not a requirement for the children so a PR parent who meets the 1095 days can also apply for citizenship for his children who have not spent that long in Canada. In that case, the only requirement is that the children live in Canada when they apply and that they are PR.