+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply for a Travel Document or a Study Permit?

MajdB

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
I stayed in Canada as a PR in 2008 for 2 months with my family, and then we left Canada and never returned back. I was a minor at that time (17 years old).

Last week, I was admitted for Post graduate studies (M.ENG) by Carleton University for the Fall 2016 semester.

Now my concern is, Should I apply for a PRTD (and mention under Humanitarian & Compassionate grounds that I was removed from Canada as a minor by no fault of my side), or should I apply for a Study Permit?

Would failing to meet RO previously hurt my chances in getting a study permit??

I'm 25 years old now. I'm planing to live and settle in Canada, and eventually become a Canadian citizen.

Thanks..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The chances of a PRTD succeeding are probably extremely low given your age. However you can certainly try. The downside of trying for the PRTD is that it may take some time to process and if it's refused, you'll need to apply for a study permit - and you may not have sufficient time between now and the start of your classes to do all of that. So if you go the PRTD route - there's a possibility you may have to defer your studies.

If you instead decide to go for the study permit, you will first have to officially give up your PR status before you apply for the study permit.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agree with scylla that your chances are low for a PRTD. If you left Canada against your will at age 17, what prevented you from returning at age 18 or 19 when you were no longer a minor? That's what immigration will ask and studying is no excuse because you could have returned and studied in Canada. Aside from that you only stayed in Canada for 2 months so it's not like you have ties to Canada already as if you had stayed and gone to school in Canada for a year or two.

Agree with scylla again that if you take the PRTD route, you will delay matters because first they will have to decide on your PRTD which will most likely be no, then wait 60 days for you to exercise or not exercise your appeal rights and then you finally lose your PR and can apply for a study permit. The other method would be to renounce your PR now based on not meeting the RO and apply for a study permit at the same time.

MajdB

Star Member
Feb 8, 2016
Thanks a lot for the replies..

OK so how long would it take to renounce my PR? And if I give up my PR, would it hurt my chances in getting a Study Permit considering that I previously failed to meet the RO?

Appreciate your help.

Kanksha

Jul 17, 2018

OK so how long would it take to renounce my PR? And if I give up my PR, would it hurt my chances in getting a Study Permit considering that I previously failed to meet the RO?

Appreciate your help.
(the same situation - what did you do? I am still in a fix whether to go for PRTD or Study Permit )
This is my query: ( Long Post - asked to apply for PRTD by Bangalore embassy)
Hello,

I have an admit from SFU Burnaby and I applied for my Study permit visa to the Canadian Embassy on 1st of June and I received a mail from them today stating that since I was a Permanent resident holder as a minor in the year 2005 and due to family reasons I accompanied my parents back to India, I have been given another chance to renew it since I have officially not lost my Permanent resident status. They have asked me to either voluntarily give up my PR status and apply as a temporary resident or apply for Permanent resident travel document stating the reasons and providing proof of why I can back with my family back to India.

They have asked me to send them the required documents and if convinced they shall grant me my PR travel document and nothing has been mentioned if I can apply as a temporary resident. I am in a fix and I have no idea of what can be done. Either way, my admission is at stake. My PR card is for Ontario and my university is in British Columbia. If PR status granted can I immediately move to another province and finish up my two year Masters course and return back to Ontario and if not granted will renouncing my PR status right now affect my application in future.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
(the same situation - what did you do? I am still in a fix whether to go for PRTD or Study Permit )
This is my query: ( Long Post - asked to apply for PRTD by Bangalore embassy)
Hello,

I have an admit from SFU Burnaby and I applied for my Study permit visa to the Canadian Embassy on 1st of June and I received a mail from them today stating that since I was a Permanent resident holder as a minor in the year 2005 and due to family reasons I accompanied my parents back to India, I have been given another chance to renew it since I have officially not lost my Permanent resident status. They have asked me to either voluntarily give up my PR status and apply as a temporary resident or apply for Permanent resident travel document stating the reasons and providing proof of why I can back with my family back to India.

They have asked me to send them the required documents and if convinced they shall grant me my PR travel document and nothing has been mentioned if I can apply as a temporary resident. I am in a fix and I have no idea of what can be done. Either way, my admission is at stake. My PR card is for Ontario and my university is in British Columbia. If PR status granted can I immediately move to another province and finish up my two year Masters course and return back to Ontario and if not granted will renouncing my PR status right now affect my application in future.
Others can comment as well but PR status is not something to give up lightly especially if IRCC have given you the opportunity to potentially apply to keep it on H&C grounds.

The problem is there is no way to predict how long an H&C PRTD application could take whereas to renounce PR takes a matter of a few weeks after which you would be free to apply for a study permit although timing wise unlikely would think to be approved in time for this fall admission. As you are a PR you cannot apply for a TRV until the renounce has processed.

I do not think where you plan to end up should your PRTD be approved has any restrictions whether Ontario or British Columbia given PRs can move freely around Canada and live/study/work wherever. The PRTD facilitates your travel to Canada and not which province.

Renouncing your PR status now would have no effect on any future application but as said maybe the timing now is not in your favour to renounce and get a study permit in time for a fall admission.

Kanksha

Jul 17, 2018
Others can comment as well but PR status is not something to give up lightly especially if IRCC have given you the opportunity to potentially apply to keep it on H&C grounds.

The problem is there is no way to predict how long an H&C PRTD application could take whereas to renounce PR takes a matter of a few weeks after which you would be free to apply for a study permit although timing wise unlikely would think to be approved in time for this fall admission. As you are a PR you cannot apply for a TRV until the renounce has processed.

I do not think where you plan to end up should your PRTD be approved has any restrictions whether Ontario or British Columbia given PRs can move freely around Canada and live/study/work wherever. The PRTD facilitates your travel to Canada and not which province.

Renouncing your PR status now would have no effect on any future application but as said maybe the timing now is not in your favour to renounce and get a study permit in time for a fall admission.
Okay thank you very much :) I need to show a very strong reason for coming back to India then

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018

Appreciate your help.
Hlo i m in same situation and i have same case as mentioned above ..i had applied for prtd but it was rejected on 11 jan 2019 and my classes r starting in fall 2019 i got the admission.after 60days of appeal timing..can i apply freely widout renouncing pr or should i need to still renounce.and one more main question will this prtd rejection affect my study visa?

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018
Ple
Agree with scylla that your chances are low for a PRTD. If you left Canada against your will at age 17, what prevented you from returning at age 18 or 19 when you were no longer a minor? That's what immigration will ask and studying is no excuse because you could have returned and studied in Canada. Aside from that you only stayed in Canada for 2 months so it's not like you have ties to Canada already as if you had stayed and gone to school in Canada for a year or two.

Agree with scylla again that if you take the PRTD route, you will delay matters because first they will have to decide on your PRTD which will most likely be no, then wait 60 days for you to exercise or not exercise your appeal rights and then you finally lose your PR and can apply for a study permit. The other method would be to renounce your PR now based on not meeting the RO and apply for a study permit at the same time.
Please reply anyone

Pamela123

Mar 17, 2019
My situation is alike. I stayed in Canada for 10 years (from 4 to 14 years of age) My parents came back to Argentina when I was a minor and we never went back. Today I’m 34 years old with a husband and three children.
What route should I take? Question 1: Apply for a PRTD? Knowing that most likely it will be rejected. Question 2: Or should I renounce and apply for a study permit after I choose a college?
My intentions are to live permanently again in Canada with my own family. This is my only option because we’re not elegible for EXpress Entry (we are independent workers) That’s way maybe studying is a gateway To staying in Canada.
Important question 3: If I renounce Pr status , is this going to enable to apply again for permanent residence?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
My situation is alike. I stayed in Canada for 10 years (from 4 to 14 years of age) My parents came back to Argentina when I was a minor and we never went back. Today I’m 34 years old with a husband and three children.
What route should I take? Question 1: Apply for a PRTD? Knowing that most likely it will be rejected. Question 2: Or should I renounce and apply for a study permit after I choose a college?
My intentions are to live permanently again in Canada with my own family. This is my only option because we’re not elegible for EXpress Entry (we are independent workers) That’s way maybe studying is a gateway To staying in Canada.
Important question 3: If I renounce Pr status , is this going to enable to apply again for permanent residence?
Others can comment as well but
1)a PRTD would likely be rejected given you have failed the residency obligation by 20 years. In applying after all this time the process to revoke your PR status will probably start. You have no H& C case even having been removed as a minor given those cases only really stand a chance if someone applies when they are approx in the 18-22 or so age range.

2)if you do not qualify for EE then a study permit followed by a PGWP to gain Canadian experience is likely your only path but this would be a 2 to 5 year plan and at 34 age starts to come into it with a EE application, not impossible but something time wise to keep in mind.

Assume you have investigated the study permit requirements that course must be relevant to current qualifications, improve prospects on return to home country and be prepared to show ability to pay fees of approx 18000 CDN and living 10000 CDN per year. With a family this may add to the finance requirement.

And yes you would need to renounce PR to apply for a study permit.

3)Renouncing PR makes no difference to any future PR application which would be assessed based on conditions at the time of application,

For your final question sure you could head for the US / Canada land border but after 20 years the chances of being reported are high. Whilst as a PR you would still be entitled to enter the country and if reported stay pending an appeal with a 20 year gap chances high would fail.

If by some fluke you manage to enter without being reported you would need to stay put without leaving for 2 years, possibly being away from your family , before you could apply for a new PR card. During this period it is generally advisable to have little contact with immigration so that includes not applying for any sponsorships of family members at least until the residency obligation has been reset.

As also said appealing a PRTD refusal on the basis of being removed as a minor probably would fail given would be questioned why you did not apply once reached 18-22 age range, not 34 with a family.

Last edited:

Pamela123

Mar 17, 2019
1)a PRTD would likely be rejected given you have failed the residency obligation by 20 years. In applying after all this time the process to revoke your PR status will probably start. You have no H& C case even having been removed as a minor given those cases only really stand a chance if someone applies when they are approx in the 18-22 or so age range.
2)if you do not qualify for EE then a study permit followed by a PGWP to gain Canadian experience is likely your only path but have said that this would be a 2 to 5 year plan and at 34 age starts to come into it with a EE application.

Assume you have investigated the study permit requirements that course must be relevant to current qualifications, improve prospects on return to hone country and be prepared to show ability to pay fees of approx 18000 CDN and living 10000 CDN per year.

3)Renouncing PR makes no difference to any future PR application which would be assessed based on conditions at the time of application,

For your final question sure you could head for the US / Canada land border but after 20 years the chances of being reported are high. Whilst as a PR you would still be entitled to enter the country and if reported stay pending an appeal with a 20 year gap chances high would fail. If by some fluke you manage to enter without being reported you would need to stay put without leaving for 2 years, possibly being away from your family , before you could apply for a new PR card.
Thanks for your help,

Jasskaur102

Star Member
Dec 7, 2018

2)if you do not qualify for EE then a study permit followed by a PGWP to gain Canadian experience is likely your only path but this would be a 2 to 5 year plan and at 34 age starts to come into it with a EE application, not impossible but something time wise to keep in mind.

Assume you have investigated the study permit requirements that course must be relevant to current qualifications, improve prospects on return to home country and be prepared to show ability to pay fees of approx 18000 CDN and living 10000 CDN per year. With a family this may add to the finance requirement.

For your final question sure you could head for the US / Canada land border but after 20 years the chances of being reported are high. Whilst as a PR you would still be entitled to enter the country and if reported stay pending an appeal with a 20 year gap chances high would fail.

If by some fluke you manage to enter without being reported you would need to stay put without leaving for 2 years, possibly being away from your family , before you could apply for a new PR card. During this period it is generally advisable to have little contact with immigration so that includes not applying for any sponsorships of family members at least until the residency obligation has been reset.

As also said appealing a PRTD refusal on the basis of being removed as a minor probably would fail given would be questioned why you did not apply once reached 18-22 age range, not 34 with a family.
I applied for prtd it was rejected .does this affect my study permit visa?