+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Apply as spouse in a year, my only route?

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
Is there any reason why you dont get married now and apply as a spouse now, instead of in a year?

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
Thats what I was thinking Heather? If thats the plan anyways one year wont make a difference! Get married start the process while youre still at home then come here.

Jessi

Nov 8, 2010
Um, mostly because I don't think I should "marry for a greencard," lol. We may eventually get married, sure, but it's not something either of us considers as a big life goal. I'd be perfectly content living with someone for 30 years without marrying, and because common law kicks in at the year mark, I don't think I should jump the gun and get married for government's sake. Kinda takes away from it that it'd feel like I'm marrying him for the money (indirectly via employment) instead of doing it when I want to. :( At the same time, I really, really don't want to have to wait 2 years potentially before I'd be able to work again. That's a long time without income. :S

And Jen, that's an interesting idea. I really can't think of anything I could do as self-employment. I do work online, but to set up a shop of some sort is way different. Hmm.

heatherusa

Mar 23, 2010
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-05-2010
File Transfer...
14-06-2010
Med's Done....
22-04-2010
Interview........
Not required
Passport Req..
08-10-2010
LANDED..........
26-10-2010
Jessi said:
Um, mostly because I don't think I should "marry for a greencard," lol. We may eventually get married, sure, but it's not something either of us considers as a big life goal. I'd be perfectly content living with someone for 30 years without marrying, and because common law kicks in at the year mark, I don't think I should jump the gun and get married for government's sake. Kinda takes away from it that it'd feel like I'm marrying him for the money (indirectly via employment) instead of doing it when I want to. :( At the same time, I really, really don't want to have to wait 2 years potentially before I'd be able to work again. That's a long time without income. :S

And Jen, that's an interesting idea. I really can't think of anything I could do as self-employment. I do work online, but to set up a shop of some sort is way different. Hmm.
Sorry... the title of your post "apply as a spouse..." made me think that your intention was to marry in a year anyway.

Have you looked in to the Young Skilled Prof. program that I have seen others talk about? I dont know anything about it so excuse me if I am duplicating what someone else has mentioned.

Sorry this is so difficult. Across border relationships are so hard when you arent sure about the longevity of it all!

Jessi

Nov 8, 2010
I say "spouse" because the year mark is when it becomes common law. If I live with him for a year, then I can apply as his common law partner. I'm not concerned with the longevity....it's long term and if I thought it were anything else, I certainly wouldn't move to another country. I just don't like the idea of going up there and marrying just for the sake of getting some papers for the government. How romantic, no? lol