+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied to PR, still haven't passed R10, work permit expiring

william-k

Apr 27, 2020
I applied for PR (from inside Canada) at the end of June this year, and so far, my only two updates have been the Biometrics letter and that we passed the medical check. However, as I understand it, I can't apply for an extension/bridging work permit until I pass R10.

My Post Grad Work Permit expires in November, and I currently have a job offer. Is there anything I can do to extend my status, given covid delays or that I have a job offer?

Last edited:

NewDestination

Star Member
Feb 9, 2020
I applied for PR (from inside Canada) at the end of June this year, and so far, my only two updates have been the Biometrics letter and that we passed the medical check. However, as I understand it, I can't apply for an extension/bridging work permit until I pass R10.

My Post Grad Work Permit expires in November, and I currently have a job offer. Is there anything I can do to extend my status, given covid delays or that I have a job offer?
When u passed medical and received biometric letter, most of the time r10 passed as well

william-k

Apr 27, 2020
Thanks, NewDestination. I wanted to assume that, but right now, it still says "We are verifying your eligibility" or something like that, which, when I mouse over the ?, it says that the completeness check is part of that.

Angel1113

Jun 6, 2019
Ontario
Category........
CEC
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
24 June 2020
Med's Done....
05-06-2020

Your R10 should be passed already (sign: progress bar appears and temp UCI changes to your permanent UCI; one with numbers). It is usually the first step and is usuallu completed within 10-50 days after AOR. And many people apply for BOWP on the same day of submitting their eAPR. In that case BOWP is put on hold until R10 is completed. But the applicants can continue working after submitting the application for their BOWP.

Reactions: william-k

NewDestination

Star Member
Feb 9, 2020
Thanks, NewDestination. I wanted to assume that, but right now, it still says "We are verifying your eligibility" or something like that, which, when I mouse over the ?, it says that the completeness check is part of that.
It never update until u get approved :). The only way u could know is to order gcms but it takes about 1 month to get the report so i believe u just go ahead and apply ur bridge wp :) i almost certain u passed r10 :D

Reactions: william-k

william-k

Apr 27, 2020
Thanks, NewDestination! The stars aligned and I was able to talk to an immigration officer, who sent me some information by email (and you are correct!). Turns out that there's different wording on the website and on the email system:

Here's a snippet from the email I got:

Determine your eligibility:
You can apply for a bridging open WP if you:
  • Have applied for PR in Canada as the principal applicant under one of the admissible categories,
  • Have received:
  • the Acknowledgment of Receipt from the processing office, or
  • a positive eligibility assessment on your paper PR application submitted
Here's what's on the website:

To be eligible for a BOWP, foreign nationals must
  • have completed oneof the following APR stages:
    • electronic application for permanent residence (e-APR) submitted under Express Entry has passed the section 10 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) completeness check; or

Reactions: NewDestination

william-k

Apr 27, 2020
Your R10 should be passed already (sign: progress bar appears and temp UCI changes to your permanent UCI; one with numbers). It is usually the first step and is usuallu completed within 10-50 days after AOR. And many people apply for BOWP on the same day of submitting their eAPR. In that case BOWP is put on hold until R10 is completed. But the applicants can continue working after submitting the application for their BOWP.
Thanks! Just added some extra info above :).

Reactions: Angel1113