+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied inland on march 2018, then discover I am pregnant

maripositalinda

Mar 24, 2019
Hello! I’m Quebec and I mailed my application along with a work permit on the beginning of march 2019 and learned I am pregnant shortly after. I do not have any health insurance and I would like to know what options do I have at this point. Is there someone that went through the same situation? I need some advice!!! I called RAMQ and they told me I could get a health insurance after I get the CSQ, but I don’t know if I’ll get that on time. Several people have also tell me that after I get my work permit I would be able to apply for a Social Insurance Number, and after that I could apply for the health care.

Please help!

Last edited:

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You need to prepare now for paying for the birth of your child. That may be particularly challenging as private insurance may consider your pregnancy a pre-existing condition.

Hopefully you get enough documentation before you give birth to qualify for health care, but remember that there is always a waiting period.

maripositalinda

Mar 24, 2019
You need to prepare now for paying for the birth of your child. That may be particularly challenging as private insurance may consider your pregnancy a pre-existing condition.

Hopefully you get enough documentation before you give birth to qualify for health care, but remember that there is always a waiting period.
Thanks for your response, I really do hope I get those documents on time.

ayaan2019

Feb 15, 2019
Hello! I’m Quebec and I mailed my application along with a work permit on the beginning of march 2019 and learned I am pregnant shortly after. I do not have any health insurance and I would like to know what options do I have at this point. Is there someone that went through the same situation? I need some advice!!! I called RAMQ and they told me I could get a health insurance after I get the CSQ, but I don’t know if I’ll get that on time. Several people have also tell me that after I get my work permit I would be able to apply for a Social Insurance Number, and after that I could apply for the health care.

Please help!
move to alberta , if you have valid and legal status in canada and your husband is a canadian citizen you are covered with alberta health as a dependent under your husbands health care from day one you land here

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
move to alberta , if you have valid and legal status in canada and your husband is a canadian citizen you are covered with alberta health as a dependent under your husbands health care from day one you land here
She would have to permanently relocate to Alberta. Alberta is aware that people try to land in Alberta to get health coverage for their pregnancy. If you don’t intend on staying in Alberta you will be asked to pay back your expenses. The other factor is that moving to Alberta and relocating will basically cost more than actually paying for your birth especially if your partner has a home and job in Quebec.

Quebec takes longer in general to process things. Not sure if you are required to only have a work permit and CSQ to get coverage or you need to actually be working and prove that you will be working before you get health coverage. Would be prepared to pay for the cost of care and delivery in case you don’t get OWP+CSQ or PR in time. The other issue you will encounter is that you are unlikely to be able to work the 600 hours needed to qualify to receive maternity payments.

Last edited:
Reactions: jddd

maripositalinda

Mar 24, 2019
She would have to permanently relocate to Alberta. Alberta is aware that people try to land in Alberta to get health coverage for their pregnancy. If you don’t intend on staying in Alberta you will be asked to pay back your expenses. The other factor is that moving to Alberta and relocating will basically cost more than actually paying for your birth especially if your partner has a home and job in Quebec.

Quebec takes longer in general to process things. Not sure if you are required to only have a work permit and CSQ to get coverage or you need to actually be working and prove that you will be working before you get health coverage. Would be prepared to pay for the cost of care and delivery in case you don’t get OWP+CSQ or PR in time. The other issue you will encounter is that you are unlikely to be able to work the 600 hours needed to qualify to receive maternity payments.
I thought the same thing, relocating in Alberta might be even more expensive and troublesome than paying for the maternity care, considering my husband have a stable job here in Quebec and we just rented and apartment few months ago with a 18 months lease. I also read that to apply for health care in Alberta I have to wait a period of 3 months after settle in there, which considering the time we would take to reclocate plus those 3 months, I would have already paid most part of the pregnancy anyway.

Another worry about moving to Alberta is that I have no idea how the inmigration process will be affected, maybe would be delayed because I started it being in Quebec.

Thanks all for the responses!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I thought the same thing, relocating in Alberta might be even more expensive and troublesome than paying for the maternity care, considering my husband have a stable job here in Quebec and we just rented and apartment few months ago with a 18 months lease. I also read that to apply for health care in Alberta I have to wait a period of 3 months after settle in there, which considering the time we would take to reclocate plus those 3 months, I would have already paid most part of the pregnancy anyway.

Another worry about moving to Alberta is that I have no idea how the inmigration process will be affected, maybe would be delayed because I started it being in Quebec.

Thanks all for the responses!
There is no 3 month waiting period. You would have to live with your husband for inland sponsorship which would mean leaving his job and paying out the lease or finding a subletter if allowed.