+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for Spousal Sponsorship with TRV in Progress - TRV not expedited by IRCC

Chinedov

Oct 15, 2018
Nigeria
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Accra
Hello folks,

I have a few questions.

I applied for a TRV for my Spouse to Visit Canada. I subsequently applied for a Spousal PR Our timeline is as follows:

Temporary Visa:
PA Country: Nigeria
Submitted: Nov 20, 2023
Criminality: Passed
Background Checks: In Progress
Eligibility: Not Started

Spousal:
Sponsor: Permanent Resident
Submitted: Jan 21, 2024
Sponsor's eligibility: In Progress
Criminality: In Progress
Medical: Not Started

I recall last year, the Minister talked about expedited processing of TRVs for Families and Spouses here:

On the 26th of May, the then Immigration Minister announced measures to expedite the processing time for TRV applications for Spousal Applicants to within 30 days as follows:

Today, the Honourable Sean Fraser, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, joined by the Honourable Hedy Fry, Member of Parliament for Vancouver Centre, announced new measures to strengthen family reunification, including
  • faster temporary resident visa (TRV) processing times for spousal applicants
  • new and dedicated processing tools for spousal TRV applicants
  • a new open work permit for spousal and family class applicants
  • open work permit extensions for open work permit holders expiring between August 1 and the end of 2023
Minister Fraser announced faster temporary resident visa (TRV) processing and more considerate application measures so that families can be together sooner while they wait for their permanent residence to be finalized. Going forward, most of these applications will be processed within 30 days, and applicants will benefit from processing measures specific to their circumstances as spouses and dependants. Many applications have already been processed using these new tools. Within this cohort of applicants, we have seen an approval rate of 93%.

My questions:
  1. How do I get IRCC to expedite the TRV following the measures above?
  2. Does it matter that the TRV was submitted before the Spousal application?
    1. I submitted the TRV first to allow me time to gather documents and meticulously review the Spousal Application before submission.
    2. We are also getting married next month, and I hoped the visa would be out by January so she could visit and do some shopping and wedding prep.
    3. We provided information about the upcoming wedding - including IVs and Marriage Certificate from our court wedding in October 2023 to prove relationship.
  3. What visa office processes TRVs for Nigeria? The last time a friend applied was in Nairobi, but the IRCC website assigns Lagos as the VO when submitting a Web Form.
Please help with any answers from your experience. Is there any additional information we need to provide to enable them make a decision o the TRV sooner?

Thanks all

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello folks,

I have a few questions.

I applied for a TRV for my Spouse to Visit Canada. I subsequently applied for a Spousal PR Our timeline is as follows:

Temporary Visa:

Spousal:

I recall last year, the Minister talked about expedited processing of TRVs for Families and Spouses here:

On the 26th of May, the then Immigration Minister announced measures to expedite the processing time for TRV applications for Spousal Applicants to within 30 days as follows:

My questions:
    1. I submitted the TRV first to allow me time to gather documents and meticulously review the Spousal Application before submission.
    2. We are also getting married next month, and I hoped the visa would be out by January so she could visit and do some shopping and wedding prep.
    3. We provided information about the upcoming wedding - including IVs and Marriage Certificate from our court wedding in October 2023 to prove relationship.
  3. What visa office processes TRVs for Nigeria? The last time a friend applied was in Nairobi, but the IRCC website assigns Lagos as the VO when submitting a Web Form.
Please help with any answers from your experience. Is there any additional information we need to provide to enable them make a decision o the TRV sooner?

Thanks all
To qualify under the special measures, you need to submit the spousal sponsorship application first, wait until you have AOR which normally takes 2-3 months, then then submit the TRV application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello folks,

I have a few questions.

Temporary Visa:

Spousal:

My questions:

Thanks all
The 30 day processing is a goal not a guarantee. Governments make promises but it is impotent to look at the language they use. They didn’t promise that all applications will be processed within 30 days. There is still a much higher chance of approval compared to precovid times when chances of having your partner wait in Canada during sponsorship
was close to 0%. Many people also misunderstood the announcement and thought that spouses were guaranteed TRVs which is not correct. People were shocked when they got refused.