+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for Citizenship in March 2014 and have a job offer in US - Need Advice

fxtoro

Aug 14, 2014
Hello,

I need some advice in the predicament I currently am in.

I applied for citizenship in March 2014 and haven't heard anything yet from the Citizenship & Immigration Canada regarding my application. My test centre is Scarborough and everything seems normal with my application but my test letter doesnt seem to be arriving. Nevertheless, I received a job offer from a company in the US and they are willing to file my H1B visa. They will file in under my indian passport. If I move to the US, do I lose my right to apply for citizenship in Canada even though I have fulfilled the requirements for citizenship? If I do get my citizenship, will the US Immigration service be able to transfer my H1B Visa to my new canadian passport? How easy or difficult is it?

Any advice or help in this matter will be appreciated.

Thanks

djsunman

Star Member
Jan 2, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fxtoro said:
Hello,

I applied for citizenship in March 2014 and haven't heard anything yet from the Citizenship & Immigration Canada regarding my application. My test centre is Scarborough and everything seems normal with my application but my test letter doesnt seem to be arriving. Nevertheless, I received a job offer from a company in the US and they are willing to file my H1B visa. They will file in under my indian passport. If I move to the US, do I lose my right to apply for citizenship in Canada even though I have fulfilled the requirements for citizenship? If I do get my citizenship, will the US Immigration service be able to transfer my H1B Visa to my new canadian passport? How easy or difficult is it?

Thanks

Dear Friend,

What I see from other posts is CIC is currently processing Feb 2014 Applications.

IF everything is ok , u should be getting your test invite by December.

With regards your H1B, you must discuss it with your employer that once you get Canadian they will have to re-issue you a work permit on Canadian Passport. It shouldn't be that difficult.

Under current rules, you wont get rejected for Canadian Citizenship.

Good luck with everything.

poushi24

Star Member
Sep 12, 2014
djsunman said:
Dear Friend,

What I see from other posts is CIC is currently processing Feb 2014 Applications.

IF everything is ok , u should be getting your test invite by December.

With regards your H1B, you must discuss it with your employer that once you get Canadian they will have to re-issue you a work permit on Canadian Passport. It shouldn't be that difficult.

Under current rules, you wont get rejected for Canadian Citizenship.

Good luck with everything.
Once you become Canadian Citizen you don't have to have H1B, you could apply for TN and it is very easy to get.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Just pray that you get your Canadian citizenship... That is the most important thing in your situation. Delay as much as possible having the H1b stamp on your passport... In case you are called for the test and they check your passport... Normally h1b should not affect your application... But a zealous IO may delay your application

vias

Star Member
Aug 19, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fxtoro said:
Hello,

Thanks
H1B quota for this year closed in April, If your employer wants to sponsor you H1B he can only apply in next year April2015 and earliest month of getting H1B visa would be October 2015. So you have one year ahead before you even start working for US company.