+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied for Bridging Open Work Visa, current permit expires in less than a month

daitheee

Feb 8, 2016
Hello all,

I applied for permanent residency and received my AOR in March. My work permit is up on July 9th so I applied for Bridging Open Work Permit on June 8th. There's a chance that the BOWP will not be processed in time before my visa expires. My employer is worried that I have not received any letter from the government saying I can continue to work passed my original work permit end date.

1. What do I do in the case that my BOWP application has not been processed before my current permit expires ??

2. Is there a document I can show my employer so they know it's ok for me to continue working ??

Thank you in advance

volkov

Sep 20, 2014
daitheee said:
Hello all,

I applied for permanent residency and received my AOR in March. My work permit is up on July 9th so I applied for Bridging Open Work Permit on June 8th. There's a chance that the BOWP will not be processed in time before my visa expires. My employer is worried that I have not received any letter from the government saying I can continue to work passed my original work permit end date.

1. What do I do in the case that my BOWP application has not been processed before my current permit expires ??

2. Is there a document I can show my employer so they know it's ok for me to continue working ??

Thank you in advance
CIC told us that it is ok to continue working and to find new work while in Implied Status, and to show receipts of our new work permit application if any employer wants proof of implied status, but unfortunately that doesn't explain a lot if the employer gets over stressed out about it. Unfortunately that is all that the CIC will give you, so you have to convince the employer that it is ok when you are on implied status and that is all the documentation you will ever get until the actual processing is completed, which can take 4 months.

same goes for the expired Social Insurance number, you can't get a new one until the new work permit is completely processed, so the only way to continue under implied status is to continue to use the expired Social Insurance number

it would be nice if CIC made all of this a bit smoother and better explained, but that is all that they will do for us so under implied status you are kind of at the mercy of having to convince your employer that it is all ok

martha1901

Star Member
Jun 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Passport Req..
18-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
25-05-2016
LANDED..........
20-06-2016
Temporary resident : Implied status (extending a stay)

This section contains policy, procedures and guidance used by IRCC staff. It is posted on the IRCC website as a courtesy to stakeholders.

A temporary resident must apply to extend their period of authorized stay before it ends. If they have done so, their period of authorized stay as a temporary resident is extended by law until a decision is made [R183(5)]. Such a person is considered to have implied status as a temporary resident during that period.

If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR) (the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions pending a determination of their application for renewal) apply only as long as the person remains in Canada.

daitheee

Feb 8, 2016
martha1901 & volkov

Thank you both for your detailed answers, I really appreciate the help. I 100% agree, it is a shame that CIC does not give us a better solution while we are in limbo. Having this knowledge will at least give me something to say when I speak to my employers about it.

Thanks again
David

supercow

Nov 10, 2015
daitheee said:
Hello all,

Thank you in advance

I have a question for you. My situation is same as you, but there are employment restrictions on my SINP. May I apply for bridging open work permit?

Thanks a lot

volkov

Sep 20, 2014
supercow said:
I have a question for you. My situation is same as you, but there are employment restrictions on my SINP. May I apply for bridging open work permit?

Thanks a lot
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

dkr1989

Jul 4, 2016
Hello everyone,
I have an Open Work permit which is due to expire in 4 months. I have Ontario Provincial Nomination and have applied for PNP based PR. I have Acknowledgement of Receipt IRCC for my PR application.
I need a little help regarding Bridging Open Work Permit (BOWP). I tried to apply online. There I went through a questionnaire and at the end it said I can apply for work permit extension with following supporting documents.

1) Letter of Support from Province or Territory (required) (clicking on ? (help) gives "Letter from the nominating province or territory that supports the issuance of the work permit.")
2) Passport (required)
3) Proof that you Meet the Requirements of the Job Being Offered (required) (clicking on ? (help) gives "If your intended occupation in Canada is regulated, provide evidence that the responsible provincial, territorial or professional body has granted you the required license or certification.")
4) Provincial Nominee Program Certificate (PNC) (required)
5) Employer Questionnaire and Declaration (required)(clicking on ? (help) gives a link to a list of question which generates not found error)
6) Offer of Employment (required)
7) Digital photo (required)

I don't have 1st, 3rd and 5th. I can ask my employer to fill the 5th document if only I can get that Employer Questionnaire and Declaration form. Also this is not what is given on CIC website regarding BOWP eligibility parameters. Also online it says I need to pay only $155 where as I thought its $255. I am a bit confused here about what to do. Please let me know if you have any related experience. Thanks a lot for reading through my problem. Any help to clarify this situation will be much appreciated.