+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applications processed in Pretoria

Brown_Sugar

Star Member
Mar 24, 2019
Hello everyone,

I have a question about my application to sponsor my sister in the Family Class: Other relatives. The application is going well, I have added the timeline below.

Zimbabwe, where my sister is, currently has a passport crisis. The government hasn't issued passports in close to a year now. My sister has a passport but her two dependent children who are accompanying her do not have passports. They have applied for her children's passports but we do not know when they will get them. CIC Pretoria reached out and requested for medicals in May and we asked for an extension of time to wait for passports but up to now there is no word on passports. You cannot get your medicals done without a picture ID and for the kids who are 3 and 2 years old that means they need their passports. We received another email this week asking for the medicals within 60 days, CIC says if they don't receive this information within the 60 days our application will be refused.

I have checked to see if we can send a webform to list the children as non-accompanying dependents but even in that case, non-accompanying dependents have to have their medicals done in order for the applicant to be issued with PR.

My question is: Can our PR application be refused based on a circumstance that is beyond our control?

The passport crisis in Zimbabwe is something that we do not have control over. It has been covered by press and in international media outlets. I dowloaded these news sources and sent them to CIC Pretoria in our initial request for extension to get medicals email.

App sent: 25 February 2019 | App received: 1 March 2019 | AOR1: 3 April 2019 | ECAs: 3 Apr 2019| SA: 14 April 2019 | BM Request: 14 April 2019 | Biometrics done: 23 April 2019 | Med Request and additional info: 28 May 2019 | Med Request (2) and additional info: 6 August 2019
I don't know too much about this so I would recommend getting in touch with the visa office to get the right answer. For the medical however I don't think a passport is absolutely required. It says on the instruction letter from IRCC to provide photo identification including a passport if available. Is there any other ID that can be used for the kids?

allmm

Mar 5, 2019
I don't know too much about this so I would recommend getting in touch with the visa office to get the right answer. For the medical however I don't think a passport is absolutely required. It says on the instruction letter from IRCC to provide photo identification including a passport if available. Is there any other ID that can be used for the kids?
Thank you Brown_Sugar!

The identification requirement in the Medical Request letter says:
  • Identification, including your passport if one is available. Proof of identity must include at least one

government-issued document with photograph and signature, such as a passport or driver’s license.

So the statement says if a passport is available but it goes on to say provide one government issued ID with a photo and signature. This is a catch-22 as it basically implies that children who cannot get a drivers license yet must have a passport for their medicals.

The first time I contacted the visa office asking if they could let her kids get the medicals using their birth certificates, we did not get a response. I will email them again to ask for this exemption/consideration.

Brown_Sugar

Star Member
Mar 24, 2019
Thank you Brown_Sugar!

The identification requirement in the Medical Request letter says:
  • Identification, including your passport if one is available. Proof of identity must include at least one

government-issued document with photograph and signature, such as a passport or driver’s license.
So the statement says if a passport is available but it goes on to say provide one government issued ID with a photo and signature. This is a catch-22 as it basically implies that children who cannot get a drivers license yet must have a passport for their medicals.

The first time I contacted the visa office asking if they could let her kids get the medicals using their birth certificates, we did not get a response. I will email them again to ask for this exemption/consideration.
So, the way I'm understanding this is that they're using passport or driver's license as an example. Other forms of government issued ID would be accepted. The only issue is I don't know how many children have photo IDs. Is there something like a health card that they can use? If the only piece of ID you have is the birth certificate, I would say call the doctor's office and explain the situation to them since nobody has responded to your webform question.

allmm

Mar 5, 2019
So, the way I'm understanding this is that they're using passport or driver's license as an example. Other forms of government issued ID would be accepted. The only issue is I don't know how many children have photo IDs. Is there something like a health card that they can use? If the only piece of ID you have is the birth certificate, I would say call the doctor's office and explain the situation to them since nobody has responded to your webform question.
They do not have health cards in Zimbabwe that they can use as photo IDs. They only have birth certificates. My sister has gone in-person to all the four panel physicians in Harare and they insist on having passports for her kids. They asked us to talk to CIC Pretoria. I will contact CIC again. Everything has been going well except for the passports. I am scared they will refuse our application now. Thank you again Brown_Sugar.

Brown_Sugar

Star Member
Mar 24, 2019
They do not have health cards in Zimbabwe that they can use as photo IDs. They only have birth certificates. My sister has gone in-person to all the four panel physicians in Harare and they insist on having passports for her kids. They asked us to talk to CIC Pretoria. I will contact CIC again. Everything has been going well except for the passports. I am scared they will refuse our application now. Thank you again Brown_Sugar.
That's so frustrating. Keep a record of your webform submissions. I don't think they will refuse your application, but in the event that they do because you weren't able to submit the medicals, you will at least have proof that you tried to contact them and never got a response. Good luck with everything!

Reactions: allmm

allmm

Mar 5, 2019
That's so frustrating. Keep a record of your webform submissions. I don't think they will refuse your application, but in the event that they do because you weren't able to submit the medicals, you will at least have proof that you tried to contact them and never got a response. Good luck with everything!
My sister was able to get her children's medicals done. We submitted a request to have the medicals done using the children's birth certificates and the Pretoria office sent us an email that we took to the doctors. In the email they said birth certificates are acceptable IDs for minors to get their medicals done with photos. Thank you.

Reactions: Brown_Sugar

mboxkasemu

Apr 8, 2019
Oh
My sister was able to get her children's medicals done. We submitted a request to have the medicals done using the children's birth certificates and the Pretoria office sent us an email that we took to the doctors. In the email they said birth certificates are acceptable IDs for minors to get their medicals done with photos. Thank you.

Oh wow thats it didnt take long -yours is moving really fast hey.I have been waiting since my medicals where done in March.Its been a long wait

allmm

Mar 5, 2019
Oh

Oh wow thats it didnt take long -yours is moving really fast hey.I have been waiting since my medicals where done in March.Its been a long wait
The movement could be because it was all before the medicals were done. Maybe we will be waiting for just as long after our medicals.

Brown_Sugar

Star Member
Mar 24, 2019
That's great to hear. Glad it all worked out.

has anybody had their file move ?
Moved to Pretoria you mean? Yes, our file was transferred in May. We are March applicants. Can you share your timeline please?

mboxkasemu

Apr 8, 2019
That's great to hear. Glad it all worked out.

Moved to Pretoria you mean? Yes, our file was transferred in May. We are March applicants. Can you share your timeline please?
Oh sorry meant -since the files have been transferred to Pretoria have you heard from the visa office lately .My time line
App received 7 Sept 2018
Biometrics done 4 jan 2019
Sponsoorship approval 4 jan 2019
File tranferred to Pretoria 21 Jan 2019
Medical request 27 Feb 2019
Medical passed 19 March 2019

Then Total silence

Brown_Sugar

Star Member
Mar 24, 2019
Oh sorry meant -since the files have been transferred to Pretoria have you heard from the visa office lately .My time line
App received 7 Sept 2018
Biometrics done 4 jan 2019
Sponsoorship approval 4 jan 2019
File tranferred to Pretoria 21 Jan 2019
Medical request 27 Feb 2019
Medical passed 19 March 2019

Then Total silence
Oh no. That sucks. I thought Pretoria would be much faster than this. We just passed the medical exam so I was hoping we were close to being done with the whole process. Maybe not... Good news is you're nearing the 12 months, so you will hopefully get your decision soon. Is there anything about your file that you suspect is slowing things down?

mboxkasemu

Apr 8, 2019
Oh no. That sucks. I thought Pretoria would be much faster than this. Good news is you're nearing the 12 months, so you will hopefully get your decision soon. Is there anything about your file that you suspect is slowing things down?
We had requested for notes in July and they had not done the background check,not even sure how long that takes or what it entails

Vaughan

Apr 2, 2019
I was about to ask the same thing. Are there dependents and is this marriage the first for you or your spouse?