+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application to Sponsor- What is an offense under an act of Parliament?

bluesky10

Jan 28, 2021
On form imm 1344 question 18, my sponsor answered "no" to the question, "Have you been charged with an offense under an act of parliament punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least ten years."

20 years ago he was charged in the USA for driving with a suspended license. The license was suspended because the state thought he didn't have car insurance. He answered "no" to the question because he didn't think it qualified as "an act of parliament punishable by a max of ten years". I'm concerned he answered incorrectly and it would be considered misrepresentation. Thoughts? We have not received AOR1 yet. Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
On form imm 1344 question 18, my sponsor answered "no" to the question, "Have you been charged with an offense under an act of parliament punishable by a maximum term of imprisonment of at least ten years."

20 years ago he was charged in the USA for driving with a suspended license. The license was suspended because the state thought he didn't have car insurance. He answered "no" to the question because he didn't think it qualified as "an act of parliament punishable by a max of ten years". I'm concerned he answered incorrectly and it would be considered misrepresentation. Thoughts? We have not received AOR1 yet. Thank you!
I'm not an expert, but a quick internet search suggests driving while suspended is a max six months jail offence, i.e. hopefully should not even be a close question.

(A warning, there are some 'ratchets' for some driving offences if alcohol involved, and so it may not be quite so simple)