+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application to renew PR ready to submit. Any suggestions for supporting DOCS?

yazmost

Star Member
Apr 27, 2007
Hi all,
I have been in Canada now for almost 2.5 years straight. Not a single day out of Canada during this period. What docuemnts do you suggest to append in the application for renewal? I read the gather your document file from CIC web site which states:

2. One (1) primary identity document
A copy of one of the following:
o your valid passport or travel document, or
o the passport or travel document you held at the time you became a permanent resident (including your passport’s page that was stamped when you arrived in Canada and became a permanent resident), or
o the certificate of identity or travel document issued by the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration Canada or a foreign country.
Note: The copy should show the document type and number, issue and expiry date, your name, photo and date of birth.
Under exceptional circumstances, if it is impossible for you to obtain any of the above you must provide a:
o copy of any identity document issued outside Canada before you came to Canada,
or
o statutory declaration signed by you attesting to your identity and a statutory declaration also attesting to your identity signed by:
a. a person who knew you before you came to Canada (such as a family member) or
b. an official of an organization representing people from your country of nationality or former residence.
Format: Clear and legible photocopy
3. One (1) secondary identity document
A copy of one of the following:
o your Record of Landing (IMM 1000) or Confirmation of Permanent Residence (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688), or
o your valid provincial driver’s license, or
o your valid provincial photo-identity card, or
o your valid student card issued from a provincially accredited college or university, or
o your most recent Income Tax assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency within the past two (2) years.
Format: Clear and legible photocopy
Note: You are strongly encouraged to submit two (2) secondary identity documents in the event that additional documents are required and to prevent delays in the processing of your application.

My question
Should I send also bank statements, utility bills, house purchase agreement or certified title?

Please suggest what document that should be included?

Thanks

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just follow the instructions.

If CIC wanted home titles and 3 years of bank statements, they would have asked for them.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Send them what they ask for.

Bank statements *might* be usefully included to show that you are/have been physically present in Canada.

Utility bills, house purchase agreement & title do not prove your presence.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lammawitch said:
Bank statements *might* be usefully included to show that you are/have been physically present in Canada.
Sigh. Everyone wants a magic bullet.

So many applicants want to prove things before the question is even raised. It's a waste of time and energy and it doesn't avoid delays. If the CIC is going to raise a question, or send an RQ (Residency Questionnaire or secondary review), they will do it, regardless of what was sent with the original application. There are cases of people sending hundreds of documents (yes, hundreds) with the original application and still getting an RQ and delays.

1. They didn't ask for bank statements and they won't assess them if they're sent.
2. If the renewal goes to secondary review, the OP can send bank statements then.
3. Bank statements are not primary documentation. There have been well known cases of services where a PR abroad pays someone to go use their ATM and bank card on a weekly basis in order to create a false paper trail.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Eileen, I totally agree with you. Which is why I said *might* ;). And why I said send them what they ask for :).

I should have been more specific!

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lammawitch said:
Eileen, I totally agree with you. Which is why I said *might* ;). And why I said send them what they ask for :).

I should have been more specific!
Fair enough!

I should note as well that I did send a ton of bank statements when I got an RQ. I went through and highlighted dates and locations of cash withdrawals to back up other documentation and statements of my presence in Canada. It was helpful because it showed credibility and consistency.

But it's a ton of paper to waste if no one even asked to see them!

Now that things have calmed down with RQs and processing is running faster, I'm seeing so many questions on the forums that boil down to the applicant looking for a problem. A solution looking for a problem.

And it just seems like a waste of time and worry.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eileenf said:
Fair enough!

I should note as well that I did send a ton of bank statements when I got an RQ. I went through and highlighted dates and locations of cash withdrawals to back up other documentation and statements of my presence in Canada. It was helpful because it showed credibility and consistency.

But it's a ton of paper to waste if no one even asked to see them!

Now that things have calmed down with RQs and processing is running faster, I'm seeing so many questions on the forums that boil down to the applicant looking for a problem. A solution looking for a problem.

And it just seems like a waste of time and worry.

Re bolded: yes!!

I agree that holding bank statements in reserve in case one receives a RQ is a better path.

I've been lucky enough not to have one. My son did, but providing the docs requested then (he had very few to offer), plus a statutory declaration saying basically but politely "you have my travel records & passport details; how do you think I could have been out of Canada without using pport??" did the trick.

yazmost

Star Member
Apr 27, 2007
Thank you guys for your comments. Really appreciate it. I'll go with your advice and send only required documents. As you said Eleen it's a lot of documents and waste of money ant time.

Best regards all. ;D

yazmost

Star Member
Apr 27, 2007
a question to Lammawitch,
Did you go to a a lawyer to that statutory declaration that you mentioned or you just typed it as a note along your application?

Thanks

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yazmost said:
Did you go to a a lawyer to that statutory declaration that you mentioned or you just typed it as a note along your application?

Thanks
No lawyer involved. Typed it up and got it signed/notarized at local Town Hall.

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yazmost said:
Yazmost,
Lammawitch didn't send the statutory declaration. That was their son. Who was sending it in response to an RQ. They didn't send it with the application.

There is no magic bullet. There is no anti-RQ talisman that can be invoked.

yazmost

Star Member
Apr 27, 2007
Thanks for your response. I hope I wont get RQ coz I need to go out of the contry for 3 weeks in July.

regards,

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yazmost said:
Thanks for your response. I hope I wont get RQ coz I need to go out of the contry for 3 weeks in July.
That is not an RQ trigger. But for trips outside of Canada of more than 2 weeks you do need to let CIC know (so they won't schedule you for anything).

yazmost

Star Member
Apr 27, 2007
My PR expired 2 years and one month ago already :eek: so there's no way for me to go out of country without a valid PR. But I heard that CIC always give those in my condition hard times in renewing PR or applying for citizenship.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your PR did not expire. Your PR card might have expired. /pedantry.

Stop listening to unfounded rumour.

Do you meet the residency requirements? If yes, stop worrying.