+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application refused for Common Law lack of evidence

AlvaroP

Star Member
Oct 2, 2019
Today my application was refused for not giving evidence of common law union or cohabitation (IMM 5409). We provided a joint bank account and some common invoices.

We are frustrated. We paid taxes and went through all the steps. Is there any way we can claim? A RCIC can help with this?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
A common bank account and "some" invoices are not necessarily sufficient unless they cover a full year of records. Most people provide considerably more.

Did you receive a Procedural Fairness Letter before your application was refused?

auroraaustralis

Jul 4, 2019
Did you submit other documents that prove your relationship? Messages, photos, letters from family members and friends, a lease with both your names on it, etc?

AlvaroP

Star Member
Oct 2, 2019
"A common bank account and "some" invoices are not necessarily sufficient unless they cover a full year of records. Most people provide considerably more."

They cover something like 4 years.

"Did you receive a Procedural Fairness Letter before your application was refused?"

I received a letter labeled as "Other". I don't know if that is.

auroraaustralis

Jul 4, 2019
Only bank account and invoices.
You want to make sure the officer reviewing your case has no doubt that you are in a real relationship AND that you lived together continuously for at least 1 year. So the more documents to support that, the better.

AlvaroP

Star Member
Oct 2, 2019
What I want to know if how I can claim after cancellation, because we have provided enough information for that.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
What I want to know if how I can claim after cancellation, because we have provided enough information for that.
You can't, really. You could ask for reconsideration, but you didn't provide enough information.

In the "other" letter they sent you, did it ask for more evidence?

AlvaroP

Star Member
Oct 2, 2019
How can I ask for that?
You can't, really. You could ask for reconsideration, but you didn't provide enough information.

In the "other" letter they sent you, did it ask for more evidence?
How can I ask for reconsideration?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Did the letter they send you ask for more evidence?

You generally won't be granted reconsideration if they asked you for more evidence and you didn't provide enough.

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
There's little point in asking for reconsideration. You should better prepare your documents and reapply. If you've been living together for 4 years it shouldn't be difficult to produce more evidence other than just a bank account.

Reactions: k.h.p.

AlvaroP

Star Member
Oct 2, 2019
No, the letter does not ask for more evidence. But what else can we provide? Photos? I mean we have a joint bank account for 4 years plus invoices for both names sent to two different addresses here. We don't feel we can provide much more "official" stuff.

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
No, the letter does not ask for more evidence. But what else can we provide? Photos? I mean we have a joint bank account for 4 years plus invoices for both names sent to two different addresses here. We don't feel we can provide much more "official" stuff.
You need to convince the officer that you’re in a genuine relationship and not using the relationship to get more points or trying to help someone come to Canada. You seem defensive about providing joint bank statements, other things you can provide include pictures, lease mortgage docs,text messages , insurance policy docs, invitation to events (as a couple) and letters from family and friends. Unfortunately it’s your responsibility to convince the visa officer about your relationship. You

Last edited: